• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpandexPants

I bought a 1.3GHz system about 5 month ago.
The problem is, im worried they have put in a 1.2 GHz CPU and overclocked it to 1.3.

Recently I've been having trouble with my memory (which I have now fixed) which caused my computer to shut down. My CPU was running at 1316 MHz before it shut down, when i managed to reboot it, the CPU had dropped to 1266 MHz.
I downloaded Asus PC Probe software to check the tempratures in my computer and found this information about my CPU.

ID 00000642 0183F9FF
voltage 2.9v
External clock 100MHz
Max Speed 1200MHz
Current Speed 1266MHz

I was wondering if there is a website where you can check the ID code to find out if I have been sold an overclocked processor, and if I have been sold an overclocked CPU, what can I do about it?

I also have an Asus a7m266 motherboard, Asus geforce2 gfx card, crucial 256MB memory.

Thanks for any help I get

If you take the heatsink of and check the code on the cpu you will be able to tell what chip you have.

If it's a 1.3 running at 100 Mhz FSB It's a "B" model. That means it was shipped locked. If it still is your system should recognize it atomatically. If you take a look at the L1 bridges and they look like they have been messed with that might be an indication that someone tampered with it. You could try using Sisoft Sandra for CPU ID also.

You'll have to remove the heat sink and check the codes on the CPU die itself. Use the following to see what you have;

if you are using asus probe im asuming you have an asus mother board. well then in your bios. check to see if it automaticaly setes the multiplier and the front side bus. if it is set to manual then you probably have an overclocked cpu.

Back