• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer AL2416WD any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got it and i flippin love it!!!!!!!!!

it's BRIGHT!!!!! it's HUGE!!!!!! it's BETTER THAN CATS!!!!!! i'm going to see it AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!

upgraded from a 19" 25ms lcd. the 19" had alot of, suppose it's called ghosting in games (i never noticed it in ut2k4 or wow), but i would characterize it as "smearing" of text as you scrolled down a page which made text unreadable while scrolling.

this is not a problem with the acer's 6ms gray-to-gray response.

i have had a couple problems with it so far, and i think that it may be due to the fact that i've got it hooked up with the DVI cable.... i have not yet tried it with teh analog cable so here goes:

there's no POST screen on my nf7s v2. it just stays blank through the post till you get to windows, then it's great though. apparently it can't handle the 80-column screen put out by the POST or windows xp safe-mode start screen. luckily i had been toying with both those screens enough that i had teh keystrokes memorized LOL.

also, saw a little "tearing" in WOW at 1920x1200.... this was not "overheated GPU tearing," nor was it internet latency lag, nor was it loading textures lag. it was a wierd intermittent "tearing" at the bottom third of the screen that is really difficult to describe. i suspect it is due to the DVI connection and it's limited bandwidth being maxed out at 1920x1200x24bit. it only happened when i first tried it out in WoW with all the detail maxed out. since i scaled the detail back a bit it's either stopped altogether or i just don't notice it.

eventually i will try connecting it with teh analog cable and report back but right now i'm so friggin stoked with this thing i'm gonna submit reply and go play WoW.

the "tearing" that i saw was eliminated by setting the in-game refresh rate to 60Hz and turning on the V-Sync with triple buffering.

no word yet on the lack of POST screen though... haven't tried it with the analog cable yet

axhed said:
the "tearing" that i saw was eliminated by setting the in-game refresh rate to 60Hz and turning on the V-Sync with triple buffering.

no word yet on the lack of POST screen though... haven't tried it with the analog cable yet

I have one and love it. It does show my post and the Windows startup screen.

No issue with games at 1920x1200 with dual 7800gtx. No tearing, ghosting or anything.

It's sweet!

The model ending with WD has both anny and digi inputs. The model ending in W only has anny.

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these myself. I've read some reviews. Biggest gripes I've come across has been with the on screen menu, and that it isn't up to par with higher $$ models. Frankly, how often does one need to access the on screen menu? Like..... maybe.... 4 times a year? Seems like nit-picking to me.

I own an Acer 20" widescreen LCD monitor, it has both the analog and DVI inputs. It looks GREAT, I also have it hooked up to my HD satellite receiver and there is no ghosting problems at all. I would recommend Acer to anyone who asked.

albynomonk said:
I own an Acer 20" widescreen LCD monitor, it has both the analog and DVI inputs. It looks GREAT, I also have it hooked up to my HD satellite receiver and there is no ghosting problems at all. I would recommend Acer to anyone who asked.

Every LCD from Acer is not the same, unfortunately. It's the panel and the electronics that differentiate each and every model. This 24" panel supposedly has a fantastic set of electronics that drive the same panel as the Dell 2405 I believe (memory failing..... 40 y/o now). My research over the years has taught me the brand name means practically nothing. All manufactures produce real stinkers from time to time. One that stands out in particular is Sony. If you check for reviews of their ultra pricy sleek looking LCD TV's you'll notice that they always perform near the bottom as far as latency is concerned. But, it's Sony, right? They're supposed to be the best. Nope, they're not. Brand name is meaningless in this relatively young market.

I'd be curious to see if this particular Acer panel will be updated to be HDCP compliant this year. That spec is still being largely ignored by the LCD monitor manufacturers. I certainly hope that once the move to HDCP comes to fruition in earnest, that the manufactures of these high end displays will come up with something to make their monitors complient via an inexpensive adaptor or whatever. Meanwhile, I wait for an affordable, great performance wide screen that is HDCP compliant.

Exactly Brand name means nothing except for exterior styling, so many companies use the basic screens from a couple manufactuares

Back