• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem running OCZ 2x512 PC3200 on ABIT NF7SV2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtoforas

Registered
Hi,

I just bought a dual channel OCZ Platinum 2x512mb EL PC3200 DDR400 kit for my abit nf7s v2.0 mobo. The ram is rated to go at DDR400 at 2-3-2-5 at 2.6V.

Whenever I try to run my CPU at 200 FSB (overclocking it from a XP 2500+ to XP 3200+) I always get the error stating "Windows can not load because the file C:\Windows\System32\config\system is missing or corrupt" or something along those lines.

Now, I initially thought it was my power supply (300W stock) and bought a 450W replacement. However, I still can't run at these settings.

I can however run at 166 FSB with the ram running at DDR333 @ 2-3-2-5 and 2.6V. I can also, with the newer powersupply boot into windows with 200 FSB and the ram running at DDR400 @ 2-3-3-5 at 2.8V. However, windows usually reboots automatically within seconds of getting into windows. Now, the new power supply isn't anything special and i'm planning on returning it, however I bought the ram online and I paid more to get the platinum when the gold or performance would have done. I bought it because I wanted it to WORK!!!!

So if any of you have any ideas as to how to what's the problem that would be great, as I will want to get an RMA for my ram asap.

Another interesting note, is that I've tried the utility memtest86 and at the above settings (DDR400 @ 2-3-2-5) I get all sorts of errors whenever the tests are run. I'm not too sure whether or not the types of errors are significant, however when i underclock (DDR333 @ 2-3-2-5) i get no errors.

Please!

Cheers! :santa:

that memory is low latency i am sure running at the timings 2-2-2-5, maybe i am wrong but it is it the same memory as mine?

if it is the same memory as mine it is actually DDR500 i not sure of the timings at that speed tho.

I used to have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and I had continuously ran my cpu at 200 mhz fsb - that is 200 x 10. Even if I set the divider so that the ram and cpu run async (166 FSB/200 for the ram) I still get the error that the file is corrupt.

The voltage for the CPU (from CPU-Z) is 1.616. Now I don't remember what I had it set when I was running it on the A7N8X board, but I usually had no troubles, and the ram I had with that board was 2x256 OCZ EL Ultra High Performance Ram (before OCZ had this performance/gold/platinum bs - about 3 year old ram)

And an update, I'm now running aysnchronously at 166 FSB (2500+ settings) and 200 for the DRAM. However, this is at the timings 2-3-3-6.

Even so your memory should be running at 2-2-2-5 timings at DDR400, i am not sure wat is wrong with the way your CPU is set up tho.

These aren't the REV2.0 PC3200 Platinum RAM. They're rated to run at 2-3-2-5

Knowing OCZ products they still should run way past their specs. If you can, try running the sticks on another board and see what happens. But my guess is that you might have gotten a bad batch. I've seen those sticks before. It's BH-6 ram. not as good as BH-5 but should do quite well with raised voltage. not as much as BH-5 though.

Well, I'm already running the modules at 2.8V.... is it even worth trying to run at 2.9?

NinjaZX6R said:
BH-6 – This is the 6ns version of the BH-X series. This ram performs very well, and in some cases, as well as BH-5 ram. Like its 5ns brother, it loves voltage and can achieve high frequency with cas2-2-2-X timings. BH-6 can usually clock to around 240-250 MHz with about 3.2-3.4 volts and still retain the tight timings. This is even harder to find than BH-5 as it is also out of production and was not produced for as long. One thing to note about this ram is that since it is 6ns rather than 5ns, you will mostly find it in PC2700 or DDR333 speeds. This is nothing to be worried about. As I said earlier, it can clock nearly as high as BH-5. Also, if 2.8 volts is your motherboard’s limit, you might want to look elsewhere. This ram can be identified by the last three characters being BH-6 on the chips. This is most commonly found in Mushkin Special 2-2-2, Corsair XMS, Kingston Hyper X, and various Value Ram models. It has been known to show up in Kingston Value Ram PC2700.
With that said :burn:

Well, before I left for work this morning I tried 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 at 2.8 volts, and my computer failed to boot... so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get it to work at 2-2-2-5.

All I really want is to get it to work at what they're rated at - 2-3-2-5.

Thanks though!

NinjaZX6R said:
CH-5 – This is a newer ram chip than BH-5 and on average cannot achieve the results BH-5 can. It is known to do around 220-230 MHz at cas2-3-2-X. This ram is a little different than BH-5 as it does not respond as well to voltage. Usually, anything over 3 volts does not yield any better results. This could be due to the manufacturer's PCB design, or simply the ram chips themselves. In some cases, however, this ram can achieve similar results to BH-5, it just does not happen very often. This is still great ram for the money and can most likely achieve cas2-2-2-X at 200 MHz with the right voltage applied. This ram is easier to find than BH-5 and usually costs a fraction of what BH-5 costs. It can be identified by the last 3 characters on the chip reading CH-5. It can be found in Corsair XMS, Kingston Hyper X, and many other offerings.
and
Super Nade said:
- EL DDR PC3200 Platinium Edition (2-3-2-5)
Winbond CH-5

Therefore, it would appear that maybe it is a voltage problem with the power supply?

Ok lets start off fresh here. The sticks are infineon based and not BH-6 (had to clear that up). The problem you're having is a well known issue. NF2 chipset boards simply don't run 512MB and 1GB sticks of ram well. The issue is with the Command per Clock (CPC) timing. When it's enable (1t) the memory controller is unable to run large dimms at full speed due to the stress it puts on the mem controller. Disabling CPC (2T) can in some cases allow you to run your memory at full speed. I'd suggest you take a read through these 2 threads and flash your bios to the CPC disabled bios. You will most likely need to run a Cas 2.5 as well to get rid of all the problems

CPC at NF2 boards
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30004&postcount=7

CPC disabled NF7-s bios in post 2
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3032

Back