• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bboyfobulous

okae ...here's the deal ...i got one Raid 0 set where windows is the OS ...if i upgrade to the a8n32 ...will the raid 0 set still be there ?? will i have to set it up and clean out my hard drives again ??

so what i'm askin is ...if i swap out mobo's ....will windows boot normally ?? or will ihave to reinstall everything ???

I think it might be worth a try if you are using the NV raid but turn off everything else in the bios not needed to see if it will boot. It should.....

well right now i'm usin the silImage raid ... i know they have that on the a8n32 ... well ...i'm gonna try it today after work (already backed up all my important files and whut not) ...so hopefully i dont gotta reinstall windows...wish me luck!

darnit .... i was gonna put everything in at the same time (just bought a xp-90c from newegg; but it hasn't gotten here yet) ..... i guess i gotta wait till next week ....hopefully this radi problem wont be much of a problem ... if anyone has any insight on this please help!!!

It should still work but if it doesn't.....Since you are using the Sil controller I personally would add a third drive and run Raid 5. I built my system with Raid 5 last January and have NONE - ZERO - NADA - problems. If for some reason a sector of one of the drives fails, it just rebuilds that sector while you are doing whatever on the computer.

okae ...i just put in the new A8N32SLI ....now windows wont boot...cant flash the bios....can't use raid .... very frustrating!!! :bang head :bang head ....i dont know what to do :shrug: ....someone help!!

I'm pretty sure the silicon raid and the nvidea raid have small differences in their formatting or something like that. So back up your stuff with a CD/DVD or something and do a reinstall. You aren't going to want to change motherboards without reinstalling windows, that's just asking for problems

okae ...this is what's going on now ...everything was backed up ... cleared both HD's both working seperately (can install windows on a single HD) ...but can't install windows on a Raid 0 Set ..... i set up everything in the BIOS first ...RAID enabled ..using SATA1 and SATA2(the sata ports that the HD's are plugged into) ...saved it and went into the raid config by pressing <F10> at the POST.... created a RAID 0 array using both drives ... went to install windows ... "press F6 to install raid blah blah.." did that....windows asks for a driver disk later ...put in the RAID driver from the floppy i made from the support CD ....seems to work ...now entering the part where you partition the raid array ..... 'windows cannot find any disks/drives blah blah blah ..."

wTF ?!?!?!?! i set the bios ....made the array...went to partition the array for windows.. and windows setup can't see the raid array ?!?! i had it setup before ...doing the same exact thing .....why wont it work now!?!?!?!?!?!?

i need help would greatly appreciate it ....if someone could call me or AIM me thru it that would be the best!! mind you i'm in Japan .... West Coast time 12noon = 5am My time

PM me if you're willing and able!!!

pretty please someone help

I had the same problem until I setup Bios correctly .

In bios there should be 2 IDE before the SATA drives you have installed.. Set those to "un-installed "
then the 2 after your SATA drives set to " Disabled "

now go in and make sure your Raid is set properly -- looks like you do by your post .

Now ' exit & save settings '

on reboot , F10 in and make sure your Raid is still configured .
Now do the F6 thingy and all should be well ..

thanx so much!! ..gonna try that now ....and one other thing ...when i press F6 is it supposed to load all these things or go to a menu first ?? cuz when i press F6 it doesnt seem like it does anything

MCchum said:
I had the same problem until I setup Bios correctly .

In bios there should be 2 IDE before the SATA drives you have installed.. Set those to "un-installed "
then the 2 after your SATA drives set to " Disabled "

now go in and make sure your Raid is set properly -- looks like you do by your post .

Now ' exit & save settings '

on reboot , F10 in and make sure your Raid is still configured .
Now do the F6 thingy and all should be well ..

that didnt work ....did all of what you said ...same results .......maybe its the F6 thingy ?? i dont know ....*i wanna destroy this mobo now :bang head *

after hitting F6 it will co tinue loading up stuff before it gets to the add drivers stuff ..

Also, make sure you only got 1 or 2 sticks of 512 pc3200 in , seems from everything I am reading this board doesnt like to setup with anything more than that . Once windows loaded and such can put your 2 gig or whatever in ..

Also, make sure the boot up sequence is #1 floppy 1st then #2 cd rom with the windows cd in it .. also, look to see if bios is seeing your raid in the boot sequence ... if it is set that to #3 in the boot sequence ..

i have 2 sticks of 1GB ....do you recommend i take one out for now ?? ...

and the boot sequence is as it should be #1 floppy #2 DVDRAM #3 NVIDIA STRIPE RAID thingy(the raid array) .....

[Edit]well i have gotten another brilliant idea... i know it will load with just one drive..i was thinking about buying one raptor and loading my OS on that ...then loading everything else i wanted on my raided drives...(i think i can properly set up the RAID with windows not on it...what do you think ???[/Edit]

Last edited:
Back