• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best performance/price ratio between Si-120 and Scythe Ninja

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pastrami

Registered
I'm still struggling between this two choices- Si-120 and Scythe Ninja. Given that I planning to overclock a bit, I would need an extra fan and also since I'm using a 775 chip, I would need a seperate bracket too.

Given this 3 things which would be the best price purchase?

si-120 -- $44.50
fan -- $16
775 bracket -- $7

Scythe Ninja -- $40
fan -- $16
775 bracket -- $7

Is this the correct breakdown? Thanks in adv.

The SI-120 does have an included bracket, I duno if it'll fit though, check thermalrights website.

Both are great heatsinks.

The SI-120s benefits are that since the fans blow down on it, it'll cool your ram and other components, which is pretty helpful. Also, the SI-120 is compatibile with almost every single motherboard, and it's also quite easy to install.

The Scythe Ninja would probably perform 1-2C better then the SI-120, but then you might want a few case fans to help cool your ram and other parts.

Thanks for the input guys, yeah, it's almost a toss up between the two that's why I'm just going to go with whichever one can save me a few bucks.

Sorry seer33, been sorta set on either the scythe or the si120 :) thanks though!

Any particular recommendations on which site might offer the best deals for either one+fan and bracket?

Ninja comes with a set of metal barckets that bolt to the MOBO. It's included with mine. The instructions are on th website in PDF. Scroll down past the Japanese writing for English. 775 is the second in the list of install options. As for fans, you can mount a 120 as much as 4 inches away blowing on the Ninja and it should not loose performance while cooling your ram. My plan is to put it in the empty drive bays below the CDR but it will be about 5 inches. My exhaust fan is a quiet type and is only 2 inches away running near full throttle making up for the distance of the pusher fan.

I have my Ninja on the way. I bought a very interesting case which I feel the ninja will do great in. Its the Silverstone T06 BTX/ATX Hybrid, but with a cpu duck with 2 120mm in push pull. :) This should provide great airflow and insure the cpu always gets fresh air from the outside. If need be, I will put my 120mm fan from the TT BT sitting around here which should be more than enought.

AlabamaCajun said:
Ninja comes with a set of metal barckets that bolt to the MOBO. It's included with mine. The instructions are on th website in PDF. Scroll down past the Japanese writing for English. 775 is the second in the list of install options. As for fans, you can mount a 120 as much as 4 inches away blowing on the Ninja and it should not loose performance while cooling your ram. My plan is to put it in the empty drive bays below the CDR but it will be about 5 inches. My exhaust fan is a quiet type and is only 2 inches away running near full throttle making up for the distance of the pusher fan.

Thanks for the headsup, I read the PDF and it does seem like do not need a 775 bracket for the ninja. hrmm, maybe I should opt for this since it's about $10 cheaper.

Any opinions on which fan I should get?

Vengance_01 said:
I have my Ninja on the way. I bought a very interesting case which I feel the ninja will do great in. Its the Silverstone T06 BTX/ATX Hybrid, but with a cpu duck with 2 120mm in push pull. :) This should provide great airflow and insure the cpu always gets fresh air from the outside. If need be, I will put my 120mm fan from the TT BT sitting around here which should be more than enought.

mind if I ask where you bought the ninja from?

Back