• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are u guys getting 300 FSB ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-aDaM^

Disabled
I was looking @ that x2 3800+ thread and I seen some of you guys are getting you're ram @ 300+ FSB :shrug: I can only get my OCZ VX to 240FSB :( Is it just my ram that holds me back ?

Study the A64 section like the Bible.
research dfi-street.com / forums

Getting to a higher Ghz/ Mhz anyway you can is all that matters on an A64.
(there, I said it! - no one else has I believe)

Using a divider, extra voltage, lose mem timings...... whatever.

Normally, if someone hits a 300 FSB/HTT, they ARE using a divider.

Being the memory controler is on die with the A64, it is only a difference
of a few % in BENCH scores when using a divider.

Get there any way you can, is what it comes down to.

:attn:

Use fast ram or use divider if you don't have fast ram.

On my first rig, My Gskill PC4400 will run at 300FSB but I get higher clock with the lower FSB. Currently have 280FSB 1:1 without divider @ 10X280

My 2nd rig, I use some PC3200 corsair value ram and is at 207FSb with divider @ 11X265.

<<Spider>> said:
Use fast ram or use divider if you don't have fast ram.

On my first rig, My Gskill PC4400 will run at 300FSB but I get higher clock with the lower FSB. Currently have 280FSB 1:1 without divider @ 10X280

My 2nd rig, I use some PC3200 corsair value ram and is at 207FSb with divider @ 11X265.

thats what i was going to ask... Is there a point on using dividers, multipliers just to get the max CPU/HTT/MEM speed?

I expect for my upcoming opty 148 and the 2x1gb g.skills UCCC something crazy like 350*8 with a 5:6 divider for memory at 3-4-4-8. Is this feasible or should i just keep it clean and try 280*10 1:1 3-4-4-8? Would i gain some performance just by stressing the NB some more?

WarriorII said:
of a few % in BENCH scores when using a divider.
That % is 0. ;) Dividers are key, although some have a tendency to act stranger than others.

166MHz is probably the optimal max mem to pick for you, 9x293 would pretty much max out both your CPU and memory simultaneously.

PhobMX said:
thats what i was going to ask... Is there a point on using dividers, multipliers just to get the max CPU/HTT/MEM speed?

I expect for my upcoming opty 148 and the 2x1gb g.skills UCCC something crazy like 350*8 with a 5:6 divider for memory at 3-4-4-8. Is this feasible or should i just keep it clean and try 280*10 1:1 3-4-4-8? Would i gain some performance just by stressing the NB some more?
Probably feasible with some extra LDT voltage and a low LDT multiplier...but completely useless. There would be no performance gain.

Getting the highest clock speed is what matters most. Higher FSB helps a bit but no enough to sacrifice clock speed. I personally don't like to go over 280FSB due to the stress on NB. 250 to 280 FSB is where I like to keep my FSB if I have good RAM.

I did some test with 3DMark05 and 30 FSB increase will give you about 7 to 10 points difference (with the X800 GTO2 and Opt 148). Since I did not have good ram on the Opt system, it did not test 80 to 90 FSB. I will suspect that it will make a bit larger difference but not much more. Not much but if you want every little bit of performance, then do it. If on budget, then get decent RAM and use the divider.

Dual Core's specifcly, when I had my OCZ Plats I had to use a divider to get anything over 250fsb, I was running 315x8 /166. Wouldn't budge a single bit more. On my older 3700+ San Deigo, 300FSB 1:1 was a breeze for it. Its just the Dual Cores not liking higher fsb

Gautam said:
That's a little odd, ziggo. :shrug: You might want to try experimenting with drive strengths.

Yeah tell me about it, it ****es me off (Sorry for vulgarness). I just got some G.Skill PC4000 2x1gb and @ 3-4-4-8 260FSB the memory controller goes 'up to' 260 FSB 1:1 'so far' ~ drive strength left at default.

what exactly does drive strength do? ive changed (in the past) the drive strength on my ram to all the available settings (1-4, iirc) and it made no difference in anything.. bench or max oc..help? :p

Careface*

Back