• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the best heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brian31389

Registered
hi every one ive been looking around the forums and i cant find a good hs for my 148 opty.ive been looking at the thermaltake big typhoon and the zalman hs, but there is this one hs people are talking about called a ninja ????? plz help me out my stock cooling is freaking killing me :bang head
right now my stock cooling is 30idle/45 full load
but the worst thing is that my system temp is also bad infact its usually 35/40c so i would need a hs for that to thatnx for the help :)

The Scythe Ninja, Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Sonic Tower, and Thermalright XP90c or XP120 will all perform similarly, and average within 1-2*c of each other.

You don't need a heatsink for your system temp. That's your ambient case temperature. It sounds like you need better airflow through your case, think about adding some case fans.

Your cpu temp is great, though. You don't need a new heatsink if temps are your only concern. However, the Ninja will give you great flexibility as long as your case has good airflow.

Otherwise, the Big Typhoon is probably the way to go.

castroman said:
thermaltake Venus
Are you serious?

Not trying to be mean, but I had a Venus for a year, and hated it. It was loud at anywhere above it's lowest speed, and didn't cool well unless the fan was at 4k rpm.

Of course, that doesn't mean the Venus is bad, but you can imagine why they sell for $30, and most of the heatsinks being discussed are another 50% higher.

And yeah, it's an 80mm

brickout said:
Are you serious?

Not trying to be mean, but I had a Venus for a year, and hated it. It was loud at anywhere above it's lowest speed, and didn't cool well unless the fan was at 4k rpm.

Of course, that doesn't mean the Venus is bad, but you can imagine why they sell for $30, and most of the heatsinks being discussed are another 50% higher.

And yeah, it's an 80mm

I was under the impression that TT Venus was a pretty low end cooler. Not to mention the annoying pitch 80mm fans make when turned up.

Nexus Realized said:
I was under the impression that TT Venus was a pretty low end cooler. Not to mention the annoying pitch 80mm fans make when turned up.

nope lol it rocks

Yeah, the whine killed me.

Right now I've got a low-speed 120mm fan ducted to my STOCK intel cooler and it cools better. And it's dead-quiet...

well guys i got some good news my friend let me keep his zalman 7000b-cu led hs and omg it did some crazy stuff. my cpu idles 25/36 and my sys stays at 20 and my 7800gtx :) idles at 38/45

can some one give me a link for that ninja thingy btw thnx

XP-120, 120mm fans push more air at a lower noise. The XP-120 performs about 1-2C better then the SI-120, but then SI-120 fits on almost every mobo and is easier to install, pick either based on your mobo/preference. Another advtange of the XP-120/SI-120 is that the fan would be blowing downwards, thus cooling the other parts of your motherboard, such as the mosfeats, ram and other components.

The Scythe Ninja probably performs maybe ~1C better then the XP-120, but then you'd need a few more case fans to cool the other parts of your motherboard as well.

I'm enjoying my Akasa AK-913, I idle at 28 and load at 31. I haven't tried it on low fanspeed though, I personally like the noise. It helps me sleep.

Got my new XP-90 today, very good price too, $45 cnd :) i have some thumb nails in cache, check it out.. at 280x10, 1.45, i get 22 idle, 44 load with sp2004 :beer:

th_0ef47_IM000701.JPG th_709c4_IM000704.JPG th_de797_IM000706.JPG

Edit: Booooo, small pix :(

Last edited:
Back