• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a site

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackmage

Ok so far i got a host/domain and a ftp clinet got my html for my site in my folder how do i upload this to my host so i can use it on my domain?

winscp

or if you want to use your ftp client put in the ip of the comp and stick it in htdocs

well
we need info nix server or doze? is mysql running? is apache running. how about myphp. did you config your httpd.conf file?

lotec

sounds like you bought a account with some host. Often there is a sub directory you have to use. On one of my accounts the folder is 'http', and anything you want to show online goes in there.

Post some more info and we should be able to help, such as what file types you are uploading, ftp client name, and the server specs.

Another folder name commonly used for users to place their webpages is called "public_html" -- Do you have that folder by chance?

Ok basicly im uploading Html for my site, my FTP clinet is fasthosts, windows based server. i got a folder called html doc's?

That sounds about right. What do you see when you type in your domain? Did you remember to name your home page "index.html"

If you recently changed your nameservers over to your host's, you may not see your site yet because it is still propagating.

nah, what i did is buy a host and im going to point the domain to my host

www.hackshardware.co.uk done that.

now do i need a FTP clinet to upload my HTML site?
one thing though my index file is named index.PHP but is a html file?

well, I would throw in a index.html just to test to be sure that the .php is not the issue. Do you need the .php? The only reason you would need it if you are not doing PHP is.... I forget the name, but where the pages grabs code from a single page.

Yes and no. Yes you should beable to upload via FTP, no, you dont 100% need one, some hosts offer a web based upload.

It looks like you haven't changed your nameserver settings yet. You need to login and point your nameservers to the ones your host gave you. Login to your 1&1 control panel and change them there (through your domain registar).

Your DNS Nameservers will usually be something along the lines of:

ns1.yourhostname.com
ns2.yourhostname.com

Once you have done this, and your domain name has propagated, you can upload your files using an FTP program such as SmartFTP, Micorsoft Frontpage, or the one that is included with your hosting account.

Last edited:
Back