• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Overclocker: A8R-MVP vs EVGA NF4 SLI vs ASROCK 939 DUAL-SATA2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rogue_weasel

Registered
I've got an Opteron 146 coming, and I need a board for it. As the title says, I've pretty much narrowed my options down to those three. Each has it's pro and cons; right now I'm leaning towards the EVGA.

Any opinions on the relative merits of these boards, and any in the same price range, would be appreciated. I'm looking for overclocking over fancy features first, and I want the ability to run two graphics cards without needing one to be pci.

dawei213 said:
You mean one AGP and one PCI-e?

He means SLI I believe.

Anyway Im running the EVGA SLI motherboard and its also running a 146 Opty. It will do well over three gig and the thing is FAST. I pushed the HTT to over 350 and then backed it off to see how high my chip would go once I was sure the board would not limit me.
Also there are no funky boards or jumpers or anything to setup the SLI function. In bench marks this seemed to give the baord a slight edge in reviews I read.

I later bought a DFI Infinity SLI (non ultra or any of that ultrad d or dafg or wth ever. Just a regular Infinity SLI and the thing would not even run. It was RMAed and the RMA was the same.
Newegg thought I was messin with em or someithing or maybe this board has had a lot of returns and actually sent it to DFI to have them check the second one. Guess what DFI can't get it to work either, LOL.

At least Newegg is solid and is refunding the money.

Anyway the EVGA should treat you well.

Wardog

I have the eVGA. It has a few little quirks but is a good board overall. Heard on over to the eVGA forums and read my Guide for the board, it should let you know everything you need to.

Also the eVGA seems to overclock almost as high as an of the DFI's. Only problem is the board is very picky about it's RAM, and the Bios has somewhat limited Ram Voltage and Ram timing settings. Other than that it is great.

Back