• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 xtpe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aftermath

OK here is the score
before Christmas had intermittent problems with drivers not loading or the card reporting "BEEP plug in the aux power stupid"
Back, after Christmas and the problems have got worse, no longer is it once every 2-3 weeks its been every day and today no go at all. just "beep stupid"

so cracked out the old DMM lets check that molex 12v reads as 12.20v no change there. 5v reads 5.01v which is slightly down on what it was new(5.10)v but the psu is getting on for maybe 6 years old now.

Now here's the interesting part (maybe) the voltage across the card between 12volt aux pin and common is ~11.48 voltsits flicks about between 11.50 and 11.45

my solder is calling me it says put your own Aux plug on that card and replace the cheep cheep budgie nonsense

so option 1 burn the whole thing run to the hills live as a hermit
2 listen perhaps to common sense and get an RMA / be with out a computer/use the 233PII
3 solder on a new plug void warranty try to make do.

iv been dissatisfied with this card :( It likes to over heat unless i fix the fan to max speed all the time. It gives an error in atitool after about 7 mins at default. Its just stopped(!!) working.

edit: why on earth did agp pro not get employed for these high end cards?? some one care to explain agp pro slots have been around for years do these cards need that much more power??
ps how long does it take to get registeered and able to post at OCUK's forums? And why can i not find a decent CRT any more/whats the highest resolution avalible on a TFT? isnt it limited by the cable/arnt crt beter for real high res ie >1600*1280 OH and what is the question?

Last edited:
RMA if you can. I cannot stress that any more.

When you get replacement, try to run ATI tool again and see how she does. If it's still getting hot, then swap the thermal paste and remount it tightly yourself.

Also, before you RMA, try a different PSU.

very quick reply cheers
diffrent psus are a problem it has to be single rail 12volt and 500w+ but the bios(speedfan on windows) reports, well OK reported, 12 volt as 12.10 yesterday so i think that's OK. You have given me an idea... What i can do is reduce the start up load, ill unplug all 6 hard drives and give that a shot.

i don't want to play around with heatsinks on these things. i killed my 9800 pro that way (stupid) was cleaning the VGA silencer and i put it back on lop-sided. it fills with tar and small fine dust despite filters.

ah ha it posts with only two hard disks attached further investigation to follow

edit: well i don't know what exactly what i did. what i did do was notice that the fans in the psu did not start along with the rest of the fans. i reconnected them to 12 volts (back in the same place as before on my junction strip they have never been connected to the fan controller)
Could spin up on the hard disks and fans be that strenuous that a jammed or unpowered fan could lead to instant PSU over heat? I'm going to defluf the psu tomorrow and see if all goes well after that, but I'm going to have to look at a replacement it appears.

edit2: clean psu/fans working ati tool has run for 30minutes @ default clocks case temprituer is quite low today, its cold in here, ill leave atitool runing for a while couple of hours or so. Look ups happened once tempriture > 85° im still ~@75°
ill look at the dual psu howtos i think as it would appear power realated

Last edited:
Back