• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Apogee Leaked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Luckily computer was off while I was waiting for PSU to arrive :bang head

It is leaking from the threads of the barbs. I tightened them well with a wrench originally but decided at the last minute not to use teflon tape on the theads. I also think the torsion of the tubing may be slightly backing them out also. Now I need to take everything apart, re-do it, and maybe secure it with a little super glue so it doesn't back out. How retarded! They should really add teflon tape to the kit and the directions since it seems like a likely thing to happen, since both parts are plastic.

Now I get to clean red-line residue off my video card and somehow get it out of the PCI slot (thankfully didn't have my PCI-E card in!).

BTW I leak tested for 24hrs, this happened well after! Beware!
:bang head

Just an update for everyone interested. I used some teflon tape and then tightened the barbs with a wrench until it was very tight, almost totally in so the o-ring was compressed. Its back in my system and so far its perfect. Now if only my 820D didn't suck so much...

-Rav

Last edited:
You really should use plumber's teflon tape for any pipe threads. That goes for home plumbing and watercooling. It's like 75 cents at Home Depot.

Another leaky Apogee. What are the odds... about one in five?

You don't need teflon tape on the threads for the apogee. It's not NPT so the threads are straight the whole way instead of getting tighter the farther you put them in. The sole purpose of the threads is to hold the barb in so the O-ring makes a good seal. The purpose of teflon tape is basically to lubricate the threads anyway making it easier to tighten, it's not to seal the threads.

If I were you I would just take it apart and reset the O-ring. Make sure there is nothing between the Oring and the barbs/plastic base they are sealing to and that they are tight enough. Also make sure it's actually leaking from the Oring and not between the hose and the barb. Are you using hoseclamps? The ones they give are kinda crappy and hard to tighten enough.

Biznatch said:
The purpose of teflon tape is basically to lubricate the threads anyway making it easier to tighten, it's not to seal the threads.
Ooooh - Kay... If you say so. There'll be about fifteen million plumbers disagreeing with you tho...

I believe teflon tape is primarily used as a thread gap filler to prevent leaks through spaces between the thread.
which is exactly why I put it on the thread of the barbs I have on both the inlet and outlet of my pump, which stopped it from leaking.

since teflon is non-stick there's an added benefit of making it easier to screw in, or harder depending on how much you apply :)

Blue Loc-Tite. :) Although, you'll never be able to change the barbs if ya need to. :santa:

If anything, I'd go with the liquid tape stuff, forget what it's called before I went with teflon tape.

And the teflon tape is like 40 cents at the HD. :)

Teflon tape is not bad as a saftey measure especially if you have had a leak. I didn't use any and knock on wood I have not had a leak and it has been about 2 weeks that I have had my system up and running. I just made sure that I screwed the barbs in tight and the O-rings were compressed to my satisfaction. I leak tested for a few hours outside of the case and then inside of the case and had the whole thing up and running within a day. If anything were to leak it would have to be the block itself though. I used 7/16" masterkleer and it is ON there. I think I could swing the block around using the two lengths of masterkleer on its barbs and it still would not come off.

It seems like people are either getting a good apogee or a bad apogee. So, if I were you I'd just RMA and get a new block. If you are fed up with teh apogee see if you can swap out for a 6002 block.

Biznatch said:
You don't need teflon tape on the threads for the apogee. It's not NPT so the threads are straight the whole way instead of getting tighter the farther you put them in. The sole purpose of the threads is to hold the barb in so the O-ring makes a good seal. The purpose of teflon tape is basically to lubricate the threads anyway making it easier to tighten, it's not to seal the threads.

If I were you I would just take it apart and reset the O-ring. Make sure there is nothing between the Oring and the barbs/plastic base they are sealing to and that they are tight enough. Also make sure it's actually leaking from the Oring and not between the hose and the barb. Are you using hoseclamps? The ones they give are kinda crappy and hard to tighten enough.

Quoted for truth because no one seems to believe him.

Also slightly wet the O-Rings when you re-seat them, it may help them to seal better and to not bind when you tighten down the barbs.

I prefer to use RTV or plumber's goop for threaded connections over teflon tape as teflon tape really isn't the best choice for plastic to plastic connections. It tends to wad up if not put on correctly. A little bit of RTV with those O-rings should do the trick.

Swiftech really should look into this better as this seems to be a recurring issue.

I agree the main job of teflon tape is to lubricate the threads which allows you to tighten it better. Also, the O-ring should do most of the sealing, but as any good plumber will tell you, teflon tape also greatly helps to seal threads. Recently, I put two wraps of teflan tape on my plastic reservoir barb threads and one leaked. I took it back off, cleaned it up and put four wraps on. Presto, no leaks. Last time I worked on PVC plumbing in my laundry room, I was in a hurry and didn't bother looking for my teflon tape. Well, the trap leaked at the threaded union. Found the teflon tape and wrapped the threads. Presto, sealed. Argue with me all you want about teflon tape not being a sealer, but you are wrong.

I didn't say it wasn't a sealer, I just said that in my opinion it is not always the best choice. If it works for you, then great. I just don't recommend it for plastic to plastic connections as I think that RTV or plumber's goop works better. I replumbed my entire house using PVC for the cold side using plumber's goop and the stuff is absolutely flawless. But for something like a hose barb RTV works great and makes a lot less mess.

Ok, maybe my first post should of read, "Always use some type of sealer on the threads, for example teflon tape, plumber's goop, RTV, etc."

I really think that using a sealer in the fitting threads would greatly reduce the number of leaking Apogee blocks.

While some type of sealer on threads may be helpful and may even succeed in sealing, really only tapered threads are made to have watertight or airtight seals. Straight threads are not made for sealing in liquids, and I wouldn't trust just teflon on straight threads.

RTV is more durable and if applied correctly I may be more inclined to trust that, but with straight threads the o-ring should still be the primary seal.

While I'm certainly not suggesting teflon tape isn't helpful, I just wanted to clarify so that people don't think they can just gob up teflon tape on straight threads and expect the same quality of seal as a tapered thread.

Hmm, all this talk of leaky blocks with threads lately makes my glad the 6002 doesn't have threaded barbs. I'd cry if I came home to leaked coolant on my GTX. :( Glad you caught it though, and it diddn't get ur PCI-E card!

The thing with those barbs on the Apogee is you have to tighten them (14mm wrench) so tight that it feels like they'll break. They don't, but make sure you use a good wrench or the plastic barbs will round off before they're tight enough not to leak.

Yeah, I cranked the crap out of my barbs. I made sure that the O-rings were compressed well.

Just an update for everyone interested. I used some teflon tape and then tightened the barbs with a wrench until it was very tight, almost totally in so the o-ring was compressed. Its back in my system and so far its perfect. Now if only my 820D didn't suck so much...

-Rav

Glad to hear it is working out for you. I think it was a combination of not torquing them down enough and possibly the teflon tape. In then end at least it is fixed now. That is the important thing. You could always get rid of that 820 and get a 920 or one of the other new chips:)

Alchemy1 said:
Glad to hear it is working out for you. I think it was a combination of not torquing them down enough and possibly the teflon tape. In then end at least it is fixed now.

Hi Guys:

I am surfing forums today to find out about problems in the field.

Yes, if you do not tighten these fittings enough, you will get a leak. I Know it, it happened to me (shame on me).

There is no need to use Teflon tape, or plumber's glue on these fittings. It won't hurt anything if you do, but it is simply not needed.

Our recommendation is, go ahead and tighten these fittings until the flange of the fitting actually touches the ledge of the housing, then give it between 1/4 to a 1/2 turn more, and you are good to go.

We will add a paragraph to this effect in the installation guide (there is none today).

Cheers

Gabriel Rouchon
Chairman, CTA

Back