• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V floppy fails after bios update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mpg01

Registered
I have an Asus A8V Deluxe which I recently upgraded the bios on from 1008 to the latest 1017. Normalyy I don't run a floppy drive but had attached one prior to flashing so as to save the original bios and have a diskette in case I needed to flash back.

I used the Asus Update program and it worked just fine. I was able to use the floppy directly after flashing and then I went ahead and removed the floppy as it was just hanging out the side and I don't have a spare external slot for it.

Well, while this bios recognises my chip properly and addressed a voltage issue I was having, I'm just not able to hit the overclocks I was getting prior to the update and I'd like to flash back to an earlier version. The problem is that now the floppy can't seem to properly detect the diskette media. I have tried a couple of cables and a couple of floppy drives and a load of disks and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

The bios lists the legacy diskette as 1.44 and I don't see any other setting that might affect this. Windows reports that all is well. I've never seen anything like this. And of course a web search confirms my suspicion that I am the only one to ever report this sort of problem. :p

Hopefully someone here can shed a sliver of light on the situation. I don't want to have to create a bootable CD, etc.

i never did this with my a8v. im scared to update the bios. the only reason i will update the bios is if i get the new x2 core. all i can say is make sure you floppy drive works. reverse the cables. i remeber i was doing my sata drive and i couldnt do it. than like 4 months later i figured it out. this was because the floppy was flipped the wrong way. so make sure your floopy reads.

I held off posting this question because I thought that it had to be a hardware issue and it still may very well be. It's very possible that both the drives I was trying are dead. I just don't know if it's possible to have somehow damaged the FDD header. I have a Soltek MB I'll install to test.

I'm looking at using a bootable CD-ROM to flash back to 1014. With nero I can create a DR DOS bootable CD, which works just fine but I'm concerned about whether or not it'll play nice with the flahing.

The system has EZ Flash but I think it requires a 1.44 disk. Of course, the Crash Free bios searches the CD-rom for a flash image but I'd need to crash the bios first :)

Bet I could.

The other option is to wait for the 1018 non-beta bios.

Back