• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

make RC car guts yeild a spark?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

I've got an old RC car that still works with a wireless control, and I want to gut it and create a wireless detonator for it. I've got it down to the guts of the car, I can see every electronic part, but I'm not sure how to go about creating a spark. I'm wanting to do this:

Have a container (4" x 2' PVC) with two screws drilled into it, opposite eachother. I want to connect a wire to each one externally of the PVC, and run the wire to my RC car guts (placed in a sort of control box.) When the wireless controller is engaged, it sents current through each of the two wires, creating a spark between the two screws (wires) to complete the circuit. The car operates off of a 9.6v battery. I've got limited electronics knowledge, so how would I go about this?

We have been using that, but today on the third shot, it blew the igniter out of the pvc (with several layers of PVC cement as well as silicon/caulk holding it in there) so we need a safer, more reliable way of detonation.

Ether based starter fluid. Can we please talk about the main issue? This is puzzling me. How can I make a spark jump a gap? Do I need a certain voltage?

use hair spray
and it wont bust we used acitlin(the cuting torch stuff red botlle) and the hole gun blew up on us so we just sticked to hair spray and had no probs with the igniter

and i think you would have to get in the 200v range with low amps to acheive an arc

well from what ive seen, people like to put a screw or nail in the tube and have a wire next to it to create a spark, the other pole is the nail and wires are run out of and away from the gun.

You can use the remote control steering system as a contact trigger for a higher voltage source to trigger a spark system.

Otherwise you might be able to simply use a spark plug in place of the drive motor or turn the drive motor into a spinning circuit trigger (a distributor cap of sorts) for the spark plug.

This for a potato gun? Well, look at Spudtech.com's forms.

I'll tell you how to do it now though... You need a servo, mocroswitch, flash circuit, relay, and ingnition coil.

Have the servo so to will acticate the switch. The switch will rigger the relay, that will dump the capaicter on the charged flash circuit through the ingition coil. Then you get a nice 2.25" spark out of the coil (put lest lead wires coming out of it to your sparkgap in your gun.

Change the mocroswitch to a pushbutton, and you'll get the exact setup I used on my Hybrid so I could run a long wire to get the ehck away from that thing.

Oh, and use meter'd probane on your gun, it's the ONLY way to go!

do u make your own if u do can i see a pic this is how we make ours
untitled3.jpg

I can very easily make a wired ignition, but we want to do this wirelessly. Ours looks very similar to that, but we don't have the PVC coming out of the combustion chamber with our sparker in it, our sparker is directly into the combustion chamber, in the dead center of it.

i can help u

pcgamer4life said:
I've got an old RC car that still works with a wireless control, and I want to gut it and create a wireless detonator for it. I've got it down to the guts of the car, I can see every electronic part, but I'm not sure how to go about creating a spark. I'm wanting to do this:

Have a container (4" x 2' PVC) with two screws drilled into it, opposite eachother. I want to connect a wire to each one externally of the PVC, and run the wire to my RC car guts (placed in a sort of control box.) When the wireless controller is engaged, it sents current through each of the two wires, creating a spark between the two screws (wires) to complete the circuit. The car operates off of a 9.6v battery. I've got limited electronics knowledge, so how would I go about this?
welll thiss works for me and my home made fire works i use a light bulb
find a good 40 to 100w light balb and brake it use the sping coil to make a glow plug then get some hoby shop rockits and crush them up and use the power use super glue to stick the black pouder to the coil and after it dryes u got ur self a electic match
it can be re used if u take care of it u will even need to get ur hands on 4 9v battres stage them together and join the wire and it all good :cool:

Back