• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems While First Time Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

1.) There's no memory/CPU divider in my BIOS, there's only a CPU Frequency where you can set your frequency, and a CPU Frequency where you can set the frequency. EDIT**Not really a question...just thought it was weird.

2.) Even if I tell my BIOS that I have DDR500 (250Mhz) every time I boot up it will always say DDR400 @ 250Mhz. I know it's the same as DDR500 (mhz-wise), but if it sees that it's DDR400, will it act like it needs less voltage?

3.) The specs for my RAM say 2.8v, does that mean it's okay if I just set my DIMM voltage to 2.8v? Or do I have to "build" up to it like I do with my CPU?

4.) If I set my CPU Frequency to 225Mhz, then select DDR500 (250Mhz) for my RAM, when my machine posts and it shows me what frequencies my stuff is running at, it will say that my CPU is running at 225Mhz (that's fine), but once it says what my RAM is, it will say it's running at DDR400 @ 281Mhz (WTF!?). I don't get this at all. Is there a hidden divider somewhere!?

5.) What exactly does the HT do? I'm not sure when to increase/decrease it. EDIT** Right now I just have it on auto, which could be the reason why 3dmark05 keeps freezing.

Please give n00b friendly answers :D

Last edited:
The memory speed is configured through predefined ratios, with the ratio listed as DDR FSB:CPU FSB and all ratios assuming a base CPU FSB of 200MHz: 100MHz is 1:2; 133MHz is 2:3; 166MHz is 5:6; and 200MHz is 1:1.

I just found this at [H], although I'm not really sure how to interpret it...

3. If you know the voltage the RAM is rated for, or runs best at, then set it to that. In your case, that would be 2.8v.

5. HT, is the hypertransport bus. Its speed is determined by the FSB, multiplied by that setting. On your cpu, you don't want to exceed 1000 on the HT bus.

ie. If you have 250FSB, you would select 4x.

Ok that helps. The voltage that newegg lists for their products is what the manufacturer reccomends right, not what the max should be? You should still be able to raise volts to get a higher oc?

when i got my ocz ram for the modelsix in my sig (rated for 3.2v) i set it to 3.2v and ran memtest #5 for 24 hours to break it in, so i would recommend you set your ram to 2.8v or 2.9v and run memtest #5 for 24 hours.

research what kind of chips your ram has and do a search on the forums to compare what speeds/voltages others are playing with. if you raise the voltage to >=3.0v you should put some kind of active cooling over the ram modules, be careful with raising vdimm.

Ok, this is REALLY ****ing me off. I can't run 3dmark05 for the whole benchmark, but I can run prime95 on both cores for over 45 minutes now (like 4 times as long as 3dmark). Does this mean I should check out my video card now? ARE there any tests for a video card?!

Not uncommon. Your overclock isn't yet stable. Prime and 3DMark are two good tests to run for exactly this reason. :)

Herr Rogers said:
ARE there any tests for a video card?!

yeah dude, it's called 3dmark.

are you overclocking your video card's core or memory? what do you have your pci-e frequency set to in the bios? pci-e frequency should not exceed 100mhz (some people set it to 101mhz to guarantee their mobo will run it at 100mhz).

I had the same problem with 3Dmark05. By way of the graphics card, it makes heavy use of the system memory which is where my stability problems lay. Tweaked the memory and everything was fine. btw my graphics card was NOT overclocked at all.

Ok, well I'm almost 100% sure that it's my video card. I ran prime95 all night last night on both cores with 0 errors. I'm running memtest right now, and so far haven't seen any errors for 3 hours... I ONLY get freezes when in games or 3dmark whenever I am stressing the GPU.

It's the video card because:

PSU doesn't seem likely because it's an OCZ /and/ that would make prime fail most likely.
RAM doesn't seem likely because it can pass memtest. (although I haven't done STRICTLY test 5, I just let it run... I will do test 5 though.)
CPU doesn't seem likely becuase it can pass prime95 all night.
Motherboard doesn't seem likely because it most likely wouldn't let the RAM or the CPU pass their tests.
That's pretty much it, because I ONLY get freezes in games and nvidia demos/benchmarks which stress my GPU.

What do you think?

Well, you should post up specs on your PSU in your signature, it'll help.

Have you tried running 3dmark with another video card? This would let you know if it is the video card.

Have you tried playing a game on high settings? This will let you know if your 3dmark program is not working correctly (do this if you have obtained it from... dodgy sources)

Have you looked for any IRQ conflicts?

Is the card running stock? I didn't see you answer that question, but I could just be blind.

Drivers. Updated them yet?

Are you using onboard or non-onboard sound?

What version of direct x do you have?

Have you run windows update?

Do you want to go to the zoo?

What OS are you running?

Do you have a shutdown temp? Is it possible the machine is overheating when you run 3d mark?

Just what have you overclocked your processor to? cpuz screenie?

Check voltages on your rails. What are they?

So yeah, go through these questions and get back to us on them!

FirestormZero said:
Well, you should post up specs on your PSU in your signature, it'll help.

Have you tried running 3dmark with another video card? This would let you know if it is the video card.

Have you tried playing a game on high settings? This will let you know if your 3dmark program is not working correctly (do this if you have obtained it from... dodgy sources)

Have you looked for any IRQ conflicts?

Is the card running stock? I didn't see you answer that question, but I could just be blind.

Drivers. Updated them yet?

Are you using onboard or non-onboard sound?

What version of direct x do you have?

Have you run windows update?

Do you want to go to the zoo?

What OS are you running?

Do you have a shutdown temp? Is it possible the machine is overheating when you run 3d mark?

Just what have you overclocked your processor to? cpuz screenie?

Check voltages on your rails. What are they?

So yeah, go through these questions and get back to us on them!

Signature = updated

No, I don't have another video card around to test with.

Call of duty 2, css, the nvidia demos, and 3dmark05 would not work without freezing.

I don't know what IRQ is :(

The card is running stock.

All windows/chipset/bios/video card drivers (newest).

I will only go to the zoo if there are flamingos.

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

I don't think the machine is overheating. Temps are always below 45 on the CPU, and around 58 on the GPU.

CPU is at 2.25Ghz on stock volts. No CPU-Z screenie because all you have to do is trust what I say. I wouldn't lie if I'm trying to fix a problem.

All voltages are fine.

I take your word for it, CPUZ was just to check voltages, etc, anything that might be off. You could probably OC a bit higher than 2.2ghz

Alright, I think you made the right choice in RMAing. Sorry about your card, and be sure to post back when you get your replacement.

Good Luck,
FirestormZero

yeah, I know I can oc further. That's as far as I got before I noticed that I was owned by this video card. Trust me, it's going WAY up once I get the new vidoe card. Are we still going to the z00?

Back