• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron Upgrade Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Cook

Registered
Hope this is in the right forum section.

Basically looking at a new system build. My current setup is getting a tad slow and only considering a new AMD.

Thinking of an Opterom 146, 148 or 150 with the intention of overclocking it on air.

Which of the 3 offer the best value? Also what sort of performance increase would I expect to gain over my existing setup?

Thanks

The 146 would be the best value as it is the cheapest (usually) and still has great overclocking potential. Prettymuch as much as the 148 or 150 do. Other than that, the 146 has a 10x multi (which should be fine unless you plan on going much over 3.0Ghz, which is unlikely in its self) and the 148 has 11x and 150 has 12x. So I guess unless you have a really weak motherboard or RAM, the 146 should do you well. But check around because sometimes you can find the 148 for as cheap or cheaper than the 146! ;)

Well, assuming you're buying new and all prices are in-line, the 146 offers the best value. Of course, I'm a bit biased towards the 144 line of processors, as mine out-performs most 146's. ;)

Thanks guys.

So how would say the 146 (not overclocked) compare against my current p4 3Ghz?

Also, what is a comparable AMD64 chip and P4 Socket 775 chip to the 146.

At the moment I'm just confused whether I'd get much of a boost by upgrading right now.

The Cook said:
Thanks guys.

So how would say the 146 (not overclocked) compare against my current p4 3Ghz?

Also, what is a comparable AMD64 chip and P4 Socket 775 chip to the 146.

At the moment I'm just confused whether I'd get much of a boost by upgrading right now.
146 or 148 is find. In my idea, the opteron is better than your P4 for gaming. I had P4 3.2 b4 and I can see the different btw the Opteron.

Just depends on the mobo and ram your using, if your confident that it should be able to reach higher HTTs, go with the 146, if not, spend a tad more for the 148.

will probably go for a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT, Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe or Asus A8N-SLi Premium. All 3 seem capable boards to reach 2.8ghz.

As for memory not so sure but willing to pay £180-£200 for 2x1 Ghz sticks

People seem to be getting higher overclocks on the 146's. They tend to be the one thats sold out and more expensive than the 148 due to high demand. If you find a place that has these in stock and aren't overcharging please let me know!

If you can afford a 150, you may want to consider a dual core 165. Even if you are limited by the 9x multi, whatever you get is really multiplied times two. I would prefer two cores running at 2400MHz than one running at 2800 MHz any time, but I'm no big gamer and I understand they might prefer the higher clock. Good luck with whatever you buy.

rseven said:
If you can afford a 150, you may want to consider a dual core 165. Even if you are limited by the 9x multi, whatever you get is really multiplied times two. I would prefer two cores running at 2400MHz than one running at 2800 MHz any time, but I'm no big gamer and I understand they might prefer the higher clock. Good luck with whatever you buy.
VERY good point there rseven!

thanks very much for your help all.

Now think I'll go for a 4000+ instead of the Opteron and then get an x2 in a few months time.

Back