• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad 3dMark 03 Scores, whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

I just ran 3dMark 03 with my new system OC to 3.6 Ghz and my score was 4207.

My system specs is P4 640, 2 GB DDR2, and a PNY Geforce 6600.

Load temps? Almost sounds like it might be thermal throttling. List your motherboard and cooling.

batboy said:
Load temps? Almost sounds like it might be thermal throttling. List your motherboard and cooling.

Hey Batboy, Thanks for your effort to help me on overclocking my system in the previous thread.

Anyways, here is another path that I have little or no experience with that I seek your wisdom :)

To answer your question,

P5WD2 Premium motherboard

And that Coolmaster Hyper 48 with AS5 thermal paste.

Do you have links too good software that monitor system temps accurately?

Ah yes, I didn't even look at the name of who posted the question. I know your system quite well now. Didn't Asus provide monitoring software on the install CD? Another alternative is download MBM5 if they have a version that supports your mobo.

Nasgul said:
Sounds to me a like a good score, after all it's a 6600 not a GT.

Even though it may have 256MB, those 256 are not GDDR3 which back in the day I remember my old vanilla 6800 was slower in 3DMarks than my 6600 GT both with 128MB of memory but the GT's GDDR3 was better, even with the 4 less pipelines.

Which BTW, even a GS is faster in several benchmarks (time demos) even though it sports only 12 pipelines compared to the 6800 GT which comes in 16 pipelines, so I guess the clock speeds makes up for the 4 missing PL.

I'd say don't worry about that score, it's perfectly fine, check the difference between a GT and non GT: CHECK LINK HERE (which is almost half that of a GT). BTW, my 3DMark03 score is: 9647, core is 575 and mem is 1200, from 500/1000.

M Powered, here download CoolBits 2 and overclock the 6600.

Thanks for the help guys.

For OC'ing the 6600, would I need to add a fan to the original heatsink?

Depends on high high you try to O/C it. For just starting out if you have decent case ventilation, you can probably do a modest vid card O/C with stock vid card cooling. Another thing I would highly recommend if you haven't already done it is to update your vid card drivers.

batboy said:
Depends on high high you try to O/C it. For just starting out if you have decent case ventilation, you can probably do a modest vid card O/C with stock vid card cooling. Another thing I would highly recommend if you haven't already done it is to update your vid card drivers.

I downloaded the latest ones from www.nvidia.com is there something else better?

I thought this was 05/ but 03 my my something is wrong you should be getting at least 7K mininum have you had an ATI card>?

Blackmage said:
mmm, try using driver cleaner to remover all nvidia video drivers and re-install drivers.

Great suggestion, I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers that I had downloaded online, and installed the drivers that came with the CD.

My new 3dmark 03 score was 5363 - a nice improvement over my 4200 score yesterday.

Based on my Rig

P4 640 @ 3.57 GHZ
PNY 6600 Geforce
2 GB of DDR2 4300 Ram

What should I expect my scores to be?

i think you should be looking for 6K overclock that CPU a bit more and overclock your video card and your good for 6K

My old Leadtek 6600non GT hit about 7300 points in 3dmark03. My cpu was a venice core @ 2.8ghz. You should atleast get high 6k's with your setup.

What about video settings? I think I left everything at default with a grip load of stuff loaded in the background.

Back