• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 vs. DDR?? confused?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can run CPU-Z and look at the memory portion. It should tell you there. Are you using an AMD cpu or Pentium? All AMD cpu use DDR1 and they are rated up to pc4800. Some Pentiums use DDR2 and are rated from pc4200 to pc8000.

Last edited:
Then yes you are running DDR1. The difference between the two is that DDR2 can run alot higher MHz than DDR1 can, but sacrifices timings to do so.

DDR2 uses less voltage in than DDR1. this is why intel jumped on it since their systems run so hot anyway. DDR2 works best for laptops right now.

so amd laptops cant use dd2 ram correct? if so that sucks cause my new turion ml-34 is just dieing for some 70 dollar sticks of 1 gig ddr ram :(

SteveLord said:
DDR2 uses less voltage in than DDR1. this is why intel jumped on it since their systems run so hot anyway. DDR2 works best for laptops right now.

lower voltage does not equate to lower heat, don't make the assumption that it does.

lower power can result in lower heat - but faster speeds can make more heat.

your CPU - overclock it on stock voltage - heat rises does it not? if lower power meant lower heat then when you O/C your CPU on stock voltages the temp should not change since there is not more power going into it...

if you lower the voltage on your CPU and up the speed - if possble, you will get more heat...

Nathan0490 said:
actually it does... more power going through something the hotter it is.
But you aren't talking about power here, only voltage. Voltage is a characteristic of the charge, not an amount.

Time4aMassiveOC said:
i seem to recall boards that had both ddr and ddr2 slots. i may be wrong. i wonder if on those you could use both...
yes, i saw that board too...dont remember where though. i HIGHLY doubt they can be used simultaneously

Back