• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little trouble with backup system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumbstixLars

My 754 setup (in sig) has popped up wih a minor problem. First time was when my nephew and I were lanning BF2, the computer rebooted on him without warning in the middle of a server search. Next time I came home to find it at the login screen (another indicator it had rebooted). Then I got a BSOD during XP's shutdown process. The error generated was pretty non descript, of course I didn't record it, and can't find the log right now. Anyhow all seems fine for now, but I'm thinking this is a PSU problem. It's in an Aspire Q-pack case with the stock PSU (420W, internals are only supposed to be using about 230W), the gear in it is all aproximately two months old, and I know that others have had problems with this PSU. Am I on the right track in thinking it's the power supply or no? The HHD is a Seagate 80GB SATA drive.

Thanks

Chances are that it is the PSU, as that one's not only seriously underpowered, it has known problems and very poor quality as well.

You might want to check the voltage output under load with a digital multimeter for fun before you order a new PSU; it could help a bit to ensure that voltage fluctuations/low output are the sole culprit.

Keep in mind that if the PSU has been going south, it may have already begun to bring other components with it...

I'd been thinking about getting a new PSU for it since I bought this case. I ordered a new Antec with some ram I've been wanting so we'll see.

Back