• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which port other than 80?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

i have a CCTV system set up at work.

it uses 3 ports in total, one of them being 80.

i directed on my firewall port 80 to open to the ip address of the computer which is running the CCTV. all is working fine...

but im not overly happy about opening port 80 as its such a common one for being attacked.

can i use any other port?

i tried 5100 which is some yahoo video thing because i don't even have yahoo messenger but it didnt work.

i didnt realise ports were specific to different services?

someone explain please!

Port 80 and 8080 are for http. Port 21 is FTP. On some apps you can change what ports a server listens on. I ran an apache server off port 81.

i told the software to run its http port on 5100 and then opened the port in my firewall but it didnt work.

wont 8080 get attacked just as much?

i tried both 8080 and 81 but neither worked :bang head

the page loaded (it didnt when i used 5100) but then it still said connecting the the status bar and never finished. when i put it back on 80 with worked ok again

Last edited:
You have to specifically set the port in the application, not just open the port. It may not be an option with your particular app.

If you follow good security protocols then you shouldn't have to worry about port 80 being open. Most webservers out there have it open.

Ebola said:
You have to specifically set the port in the application, not just open the port. It may not be an option with your particular app.

If you follow good security protocols then you shouldn't have to worry about port 80 being open. Most webservers out there have it open.

i did... i set the server to use 81, then opened the ports on my firewall... i did it all correctly. hmm just having a quick think about one thing i may have missed... windows firewall.

Back