Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Can a Black Ice Dual 120MM radiator be non-mounted outside of the case?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 02:26 PM Thread Starter   #1
dominick32
Senior Solid State Aficionado

Can a Black Ice Dual 120MM radiator be non-mounted outside of the case?

Is it necessary to mount a black ice dual 120MM radiator inside or on the back of the case? Can I physcially just sit the radiator on my desk outside of the case until I build a mounting device?
Also, are 4 fans necessary on this radiator? Two- Sucking air in and Two- Blowing air out?

Dom

crossfire 2 x diamond 6970's at stock clocks...4TB x2 in raid 1...corsair hx1050 psu...

Dominick32 states "Bow down to your SSD god dominick32 and kiss my feet which are actually made of pure light.
Jason4207 Responds: "Upon closer inspection to go in for that foot kiss I'm noticing that the 'light' isn't doing you any justice.

This should help. :) Circa 2010
dominick32 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-06, 02:35 PM   #2
Tat2monsta

just use two fans.. that's what i think most of us use.. pulling air not pushing.. and swiftech do a rad box to fix it to your case.. or how about gut a 120mm fan. and bolt that to the rad. then put bolts through your case into the gutted fan.. cheep and easy..

oops i read it wrong... yes you can just sit it outside your case. just make sure it isnt going to fall over
Tat2monsta is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-06, 02:53 PM   #3
NoodleHead

there shouldnt be a problem just sticking the radiator outside the case without mounting it for now. My friend has his setup like that for quite some time. Just make sure it cant tip over and have tha fan blades hit something and put someones eye out
NoodleHead is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-06, 02:59 PM   #4
Tat2monsta

very true noodlehead... water cooling is all great fun till someone looses an eye.. p.s my m8s got a dog called dudly noodlehead..and welcome to the forums..enjoy your stay
Tat2monsta is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-06, 03:08 PM   #5
Alchemy1

You can just lay the rad outside of the case. Just make sure that the placement of the rad allows air to flow through it and that you are careful not to tip it over, knock it off of the desk, or any other thing that may damage the rad or your computer.

i7 920 D0 (4ghz @ 1.28v) l EVGA Classified l WD 300gb velociraptor l maxtor 200gb l 6gb G. Skill Trident 2000 l Cooler Master 1100 UCP l XFX GTX260SLi l Black MM Extended Ascension) l 2x PA 120.3 l 2x DDC+(355's) l Heatkiller Cu v3 l Dell 2005FPW l

Gigabyte UD3R as a backup
Heat

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery/None but ourselves can free our minds " -Bob Marley
Alchemy1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop