• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

panaflo to motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chubchubcullen

I just got a new panaflo L1A 120 for my heatsink. I hear you shouldnt connect such hi powered fans directly to the motherboard so I hooked it up to the psu with a 3-4 pin connector but I forgot it wont allow me to boot if nothing is connected to the cpu heatsink pin on the motherboard.. what can I do? or can I connect the panaflo to the mobo?

You purchased the low speed version, so you should be ok sticking this fan on the motherboard header. I think the L1A is only rated at 2.24 A, however, i dont think this version will allow you to monitor rpm and that may trigger an alarm from your motherboard as well.

AFAIK, DFI boards generally have stronger fan headers than most other boards, but I have had no problems with mine.

In my case, I plan on taking my chipset fan off my old mobo and temporarily plugging it into the fan header so I can boot and disable the CPU fan monitoring in the bios. I picked up a 4.x volt Panaflo.

hmm it isnt working after plugging it into my mobo, my fan controller, and directly to the psu.. maybe its a dud? since it doesnt have the rpm monitor, applying a cable with the yellow rpm monitor wire on it would have nothing to do with it running or not right?

The 3rd lead on that fan is for locked rotor alarm sensor

It shouldn't cause a prob. but wire it with the 2 lead/ red and black tail...see if it works!

Yuriman said:
AFAIK, DFI boards generally have stronger fan headers than most other boards, but I have had no problems with mine.

That is funny, I was about to say the exact opposite. The DFI board I had was the only motherboard I had that wouldn't run my Sanko Denki 120X38 fans.

I have 2 Delta's on my DFI's fan headers. They've been running fine since last summer.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I have a similar situation.
Just ordered a 92mm Panaflo meduim for my XP-90, any opinions if it will work plugged into the cpu fan header on my mobo? (see sig) or will my stupid intel mobo not boot b/c of no rpm readings?

Cheers.

While it's always a good idea not to put a fan with high wattage on a mobo fan header, these days most modern motherboards employ circuitry that will prevent the system from posting if the fan exceeds the wattage output of the motherboard. :rolleyes:

Well, I hooked up my 92mm Panaflo medium to my XP-90... other end to my mobo fan header... and voila! No issues, booted up fine, tested it under load (~45 min of HL2) and she's a keeper. Doesn't really idle any cooler than the 80mm Coolermaster I had on there before (maybe 1-2C) but ~3-4C cooler on load, and after gaming temp comes down FAST.

Cheers.

Back