• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting holes in case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterG

Good cutting method. I need to cut several holes in my Lian-Li PC-V2000 case. Three in the sides and one on the bottom. I've heard of a device called a nibbler that works very well for cutting sheet metal, however the metal on the Lian-Li definately isn't sheet metal, especially for the side covers. So I'm wondering what I should use to cut out the holes. Thanks.

buy some hole saws. the bigger ones for 120mm fans are a little expensive, but they make perfect holes every time.

i also believe that nibblers will warp sheet metal just a little

I use both air nibbler and air sheer, and yes they both slightly distrort/warp the metal piece that your are working on however all you have to do is hammer it out flat again. The thicker the material the less warp. I don't even notice it on 18/16 ga sheets. It's not that bad most of the time anyway. I sometimes even use an air cut off wheel which is similar to a dremmel cut off but larger. A dremmel tool might be the easiest to get and use depending on what is available to you. :)

if your new to metal working id go with the good ole drill and hole saw, perfect clean cuts every time, and possibly a little quicker, unless you can work a plasma cutter, LOL.

Oh forgot to mention, a hole saw probably would be easier to work with but the dremel is just so versatile I would pick it up over anything.

Well a hole saw would make sense but the holes i need to cut aren't circular. The three on the sides are for windows and the one on the bottom is for a dual 120mm heater core. Then I'll also need one on top which will be a 120mm circular cut for a blow-hole. I have a dremel but do they make some sort of attachment so I can get a straight and even cut? Thanks.

A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade might also work really well for you. I have used that in the past to make irregular cuts in light steel.

yeah, you want to use a jigsaw for something like that.

put masking tape all over the case, and make your marks on that so when you cut the case the jigsaw wont scratch the case.

You can use the dremel... but it's just using a good cutting wheel, and some skill...

My holes are :( but that's on an old case...

When I go to mod my new case... I'm finding a good circular saw, and jigsaw...

Good luck with the project...

dremel, or if your good, you can use a drill to make a hole then use a saws-all to make the hole. This takes a steady hand though.

Dremels make the best tool for cutting holes.The trick with a dremel is to cut in small increments.Cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time.I'm not an expert,but there are plenty of guides online.Check out Virtual Hideout.Lots of useful guides.

JigSaw to get it close, A nibbler if you need a little more off and a dremel and some rotary sanding drums to get it circular and to size.
or

a hole saw a dremel and a deburring tool.

Back