• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should 3dmark05 do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

During the CPU tests the screen will freeze, wait a few seconds, then come back not where it left off. Say someoen's shooting somebody in the face. It would be really choppy because it's only working off of your processor, but right when the bullet gets shot, the screen freezes for less than 10 seconds, then the next scene you see is the bullet hits the guy in the head. A long explanation for a simple thing called skipping. It's not lag-type skipping thouhg, it's a short freeze skip. Also, in the Demo, the test with sound, it will do the same thing every once and a while. Should this happen?

it shouldnt unless theres a problem with either your cpu, video card, or ram. you should try running defrag or something to rule that out first. im assuming youre overclocked since youre on water. what are your temps?

All temps are good I'm pretty sure. CPU is only oc'd to 2.25ghz...ram is at complete stock on reccomended voltage. Video card is also stock, but it runs at over 70c on the tests.

That definitely should not be happening on your machine, it's a pretty fast system.

With your video and memory at stock, and with such a light processor overclock, I would be inclined to say that your issue is likely a software problem. It could be drivers.

I would try updating your video and sound drivers, and re-running the tests with your processor at stock speeds (just to remove it as a potential source of error).

I have the newest drivers for both of those :(. Gawd this is making me mad. It's starting to skip on the non-CPU parts too!

I installed the BETA forceware drivers and just got a BSOD!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO

Herr Rogers said:
I installed the BETA forceware drivers and just got a BSOD!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO
welcome to the wonderful world of benching/OCing :)...enjoy :p

throwing out ideas:

are your IQ settings as LOW as they go? (do IQ settings effect the CPU test's of 05?)

is there an update/patch for 05?
(been a while since i benched)

can you (have you) run: 03, 01, or aquamark?

is the rig Pi and or P95 stable?

>70C...any way to try to cool that pup with a house fan or something just to see if thats the problem?

Last edited:
:(

Hmm. I hate to even suggest this due to the time involved, but you might want to try a fresh install of Windows?

From what you have told me, there is no obvious reason why this is occuring.

felinusz said:
:(

Hmm. I hate to even suggest this due to the time involved, but you might want to try a fresh install of Windows?

From what you have told me, there is no obvious reason why this is occuring.
I think what I'm going to do is run 3dmark after every driver I install.

Joe Camel said:
welcome to the wonderful world of benching/OCing :)...enjoy :p

throwing out ideas:

are your IQ settings as LOW as they go? (do IQ settings effect the CPU test's of 05?)

is there an update/patch for 05?
(been a while since i benched)

can you (have you) run: 03, 01, or aquamark?

is the rig Pi and or P95 stable?

>70C...any way to try to cool that pup with a house fan or something just to see if thats the problem?
I can run prime95 all night and memtest all day. Good idea about the other versions of aquamark though
I will try that.

I'm downloading 3dmark03 right now. We will see how that works...
Also, what is IQ settings?
EDIT*** I ran 3dmark03 and it skipped going over 300fps. When it recovered from the skip it was at 9fps, then it built it's way back up...

Last edited:
basically this leaves me with either the motherboard or driver conflicts. I'm thinking about installing xp 64.... Pretty much all the drivers for my computer support 64 bit.

IQ settings, "Image Quality" can be adjusted through rivatuner, nvhardpage, and to a lesser degree through nVidia's driver frontend.

Settings like texture detail, LOD, and other mipmap values, can drastically change performance by forcing altered image quality.

Setting IQ to low could help rule out the GPU as a source of error, I suppose. However, since you have already replaced the card...

To those of you who can read this, this is the anatomy of one of the skips while running it in the background during a 3dmark05 session.

untitled5og.jpg

Will 3dmark05 run in win64? Is it only the drivers that need to be supportive of x64, and all the programs and apps will run fine?

Last edited:
Your core clockspeed throttled down from its 3D frequency...

This typically happens in one of two circumstances, and since you aren't freezing your core, it is likely a result of the core getting too hot, which will cause the card to throttle clockspeed in order to cut down on heat.

Obviously, at stock speeds, the card shouldn't be doing this. Do you have good airflow over the card?

Also, core frequency throttling shouldn't be causing visual jumps in the benchmark with a 7800 series card. Throttling is typically undetecteable when just watching the bench with your eyes, framerates and scores aside.

:(. I have the P180. Case door opened, two 120mm fans on high. One intake, one exhaust blowhole.

I also want to add that I have tried AMD's dual core fix, Microsoft's dual core fix, and manually setting affinity and it still skips.

Could there be bad contact between the heatsink and the gpu on the card itself? maybe try adding some better thermal paste?

Back