• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should this cause 3dmark to skip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

This is from another thread of mine, but is geared towards y'all. This occurs during 3dmark05, and 3dmark will freeze temporarily, then resume playing after about a 5-10 second freeze. This is a rivatuner screenshot taken after I experienced one of these skips. I'm pretty sure it's thermal throttling, but should that cause an actual SKIP?!

untitled5og.jpg

Ok, well I know that I need to lower temps then... Could I have more than one person confirm that this would cause skips?

well heres something strange that i want to know. i was doing some ocing and benching and i was running 3dmark05 fine. so it got to a point to where i was happy with my score could have went more as scores were just going up but i decided to stop. so i decided to run 3dmark01 just to see how much i could get for points. 1st test ran fine but on the dragon test about 10 seconds in it froze for about 10 seconds then ran the rest of the test. my score was 20575. lower than what it was when the card was stock. so i said well it throttled so i backed down 5 mhz and retested and got 25975. now my question is why didnt it do this in 3dmark05? the card had time to cool down and it didnt throttle in 05 so what up with that?

3Dmark05 is a very limited test compared to 2001, when different transistors are used it can cause the card to be throttled back. I can run tests about 20MHz faster in 3dmark05 than I can in most games because a full game will ussually use a lot more of your gpu's functions.

Herr Rogers said:
Ok, well I know that I need to lower temps then... Could I have more than one person confirm that this would cause skips?

I'm telling you, it's deffinitely the throttling that's causing the skips. It used to happen to my 68GT.

What are the stock voltages on that card??

Are you overclocking?/Do you have any experience with OCing?

Does the card work well at stock?

Alright dude, there are any number of things that could cause your throttling, and by any number of things, I mean 1) temps, 2) power issues, 3) the card itself.

1) Temps are easiest to fix. The best way to lower your tems are to:
a) underclock your card (I know not your favorite idea)
b) enhance airflow - done by cooling with water or, if using air, properly routing cables, moving away from stock cooling, and making sure your fans are optimally set up with intakes, exhausts and the like, remember, more fans arent always better

2) Power issues -- sometimes more challenging, and this is how I fixed my 68GT
a) check voltage on your power supply, make sure your video card is on it's own 12v rail, then make sure your PSU delivers a constant 12v. Time and time again throttling issues are resolved by getting a higher quality PSU.
b) once checking voltage has failed, I would try increasing the voltage to the core. This is a step up in risk, because it means BIOS modification and feeding the card more juice than it was designed to handle.

3) Unfortunately, not all cards will overclock. It's just a fact of life. There is a deffinite possibility that you have one of those cards.

As far as fixing my 68GT, I got a new PSU, and upped the core voltage, allowing me to get over my throttling issues. I significantly changed the temps, but my NV5 and AS5 usage resolved most of that.

kraftmayo said:
What are the stock voltages on that card??

Are you overclocking?/Do you have any experience with OCing?

Does the card work well at stock?

Alright dude, there are any number of things that could cause your throttling, and by any number of things, I mean 1) temps, 2) power issues, 3) the card itself.

1) Temps are easiest to fix. The best way to lower your tems are to:
a) underclock your card (I know not your favorite idea)
b) enhance airflow - done by cooling with water or, if using air, properly routing cables, moving away from stock cooling, and making sure your fans are optimally set up with intakes, exhausts and the like, remember, more fans arent always better

2) Power issues -- sometimes more challenging, and this is how I fixed my 68GT
a) check voltage on your power supply, make sure your video card is on it's own 12v rail, then make sure your PSU delivers a constant 12v. Time and time again throttling issues are resolved by getting a higher quality PSU.
b) once checking voltage has failed, I would try increasing the voltage to the core. This is a step up in risk, because it means BIOS modification and feeding the card more juice than it was designed to handle.

3) Unfortunately, not all cards will overclock. It's just a fact of life. There is a deffinite possibility that you have one of those cards.

As far as fixing my 68GT, I got a new PSU, and upped the core voltage, allowing me to get over my throttling issues. I significantly changed the temps, but my NV5 and AS5 usage resolved most of that.

I just got off the phone with tech support, and he suggested that I put a desk fan next to it and then try to run the test again. I got my temps down to 43 with that fan,then ran the test. I got a skip right away, so it has nothing to do with temps. The guy also suggested I check voltages, but since motherboard monitor doesn't work with my mobo, I'm not sure what to use. I guess I could use a real multimeter. Other than these, I guess it's just driver issues...

Oh yeah, and the video card is not OCd a bit.

Ok, so with no OC, ignore the stuff I said about altering voltages, it's a warranty voider.

Disconnect all nonvital components from your PSU, keeping the GTX on it's own line. Try again.

Who makes your PSU and what's the wattage?

Edit: I missed your sig. Ignore the last question.

Edit again: it looks like your core speeds are nowhere near where they should be for stock, indicating that there's a power issue, or the card itself is shot.

Last edited:
Herr Rogers said:
my core clock should be 490, and rivatuner is showing it as only 275!?

Make sure you select performance 3d on the drop down menu above the core/mem sliders. its probably on standard 2d.

Back