• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN8-Ultra IDE & SATA killing each other

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverfoot

I recently installed an ide drive into my newer system (see sig) that is running two SATA II drives and am having some very interesting problems that I can only assume (after some searching) are related to the mother board.

When I transfer data from the ide to the sata, the system resets. Now if I access the drive via a remote pc, I can get files off of it just fine, no reboots.

Windows pops up the Serious Recovery Window when it reboots. The document that error reporting brings up just says 'general hardware failure' suggesting that it is the psu, mobo or memory.

The ide drive is slave on the same channel as my cd-rom, idk if this would make a difference. And no I did not install the nVidia IDE software. Have always been advised against it.

ANy other Abit people have this issue?

I've never seen anything like that before. My guess is that it is the BIOS settings or software (driver) related. I don't think it's the motherboard.

IDE drive on same channel as an Optical drive?

Silverfoot said:
I recently installed an ide drive into my newer system (see sig) that is running two SATA II drives and am having some very interesting problems that I can only assume (after some searching) are related to the mother board.

When I transfer data from the ide to the sata, the system resets. Now if I access the drive via a remote pc, I can get files off of it just fine, no reboots.

Windows pops up the Serious Recovery Window when it reboots. The document that error reporting brings up just says 'general hardware failure' suggesting that it is the psu, mobo or memory.

The ide drive is slave on the same channel as my cd-rom, idk if this would make a difference. And no I did not install the nVidia IDE software. Have always been advised against it.

ANy other Abit people have this issue?

Dude, you can't put an ide drive on the same channel as a cd-rom, and expect it to keep up somehow with a SATA drive. Each channel on IDE reverts to the SLOWEST peripheral on the channel, so you've got data transferring from the ide at snail-like CD-ROM speeds.

Shame on you, treating your ide drive like that! :p

The reason it works from a remote pc, is that the process is much slower, and allows your snail-like data transfer rate of your set-up, to keep up with the demand.

Never put a hd on the same channel as an optical drive. (And as a slave, to add insult to injury!!) I'd sleep lightly for a few nights, and keep sharp objects away from that ide drive, until it's channeled right, if I were you! :rolleyes:

Adak

Back