• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin PC 3200 DDR + AMD 64 X2 4400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linuxbox

Registered
Hello. I just got my 1 gig ddr stick in today and i've installed it. works just perfect. I've read where the 5/4 ratio isn't the best way to overclock, however i changed the clock speed of the ram in the bios to 200 Mhz and my CPU frequency to 250 and multiplier to 10x. this successfully puts me at 2.5 Ghz and things seem to be quite stable so far. I'm wondering if it would be better to overclock this memory so i can get the memory and cpu speed the same and increase the multiplier to 11. i don't have knowledge of this type of memory and i'm wondering what would be a safe setting to overclock the memory to. my voltage is 2.6 volts on the memory right now and 1.35v on the cpu. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Delux and i have the Toledo Core and the max multiplier is 11x.

Regarding temperature, my cpu right now is 33 celcius. what is a temperature i DON'T want to reach. what is the average "low" temperature while the processor isn't really being used or challenged? so far i think 45 celcius is the hottest i've seen it while using windows media encoder to encode at HDTV resolution and each processor was at 96 percent.
my cpu is a geniune AMD x2 4400+ with the heatsink and fan that came from AMD with the copper pipes.
Any help here is greatly appreciated!
Thank You

First off, are you using only a single 1GB stick of memory at this time? If so, you are crippling your system by not ustilizing the dual channel ability of the memory controller.

Next, in order to test for stability it is a good idea to use programs that will tell you if a calculation error has occured. For instance, memtest86+ will test your memory (create a bootable CD) and prime95 will test both memory and cpu. In your case, run two instances of prime95 at the same time in order to max out both cores on your 4400+. Watch those temps, I think if you start seeing temps in the mid and upper 50s range it's time to back off on your overclock and/or vcore.

If you want to find the limit of your memory, drop the CPU multiplier down very low, like 5 or 6 and slowly raise the fsb , testing with memtest86+ for errors.

one stick

Yes, right now i have only one stick but i just wanted to see how things would go at first. this is a brand new system i put together..so far so good. i'll order another identical memory stick. i suppose prime95 will let me know the temp of the cores? does it take hours to run prime95 and if temps get above a set level will it shut itself off? i just don't wanna smoke my cpu.
what type of performance increase should i expect by adding another stick of identical ddr 400? that doesn't increase the overclocking does it?
thanks very much!!

Prime after a few seconds/minutes it gets your cpu to its max temp.If you get another stick make sure it is the same or you'll see some crap results.Dual channel will show performance inscrease.

Back