• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 +3000 2520mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylebussen

I am kinda new to overclocking and I just purchased a new AMD 64 +3000. I have overclocked it to 2520mhz w/ stock heatsink and no thermal paste. I ran prime95, and superPI, both came back with no errors after 18 hours. Temp rose its highest to around 54 degrees celsius. I tried taking it to around 2610mhz but when I ran prime95, it came back in less than a min with a fatal error so set it back down. I was just wondering if this was pretty decent.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 160
Nice results so far. IMO you should lower your clock speeds a little until you've got better cooling on it. Once you've gotten better cooling and some AS5 applied try 2600 again.

Wait...there isn't any thermal interface/paste between the IHS and the heatsink? Because if so...LOL!

Either way, not a bad OC on stock heatsink.

1.56v? :-/ :shrug:

a bit high.

take about 0.1v off and see how high you can go. if it's only 100MHz more at 1.56v, it's not really worth it.

Yeah I am not using any thermal compound between the heatsink and CPU. I dont plan on doing anything over the top on it until I got better cooling but even while running simple programs, the temps never rise over 36C.

I would highly reccomed putting some thermal paste on there. Even if its the cheapo white stuff. because although the surfaces are pretty smoth they are far from perfect. (perfect would be a mirror finish.) The paste fills in all those tiny little gaps between the two surfaces, and will greatly help your temps.

Trust me when I say temps would be better if you used some kind of thermal interface, even if it's the thermal pad that comes with the stock heatsinks.
You say that temps rose to 56*C. If those are motherboard readings, there is no telling how hot your CPU actually is, considering how innacurrate motherboard readings are. For all we know you could be running at 70*C, and you are seriously asking to have your CPU's lifespan shortened at that kind of voltage.

No that was actual CPU temps using Everest. I upped the priority level in prime95 and that is when it rose to 54c. Now you mentioned the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. Is it already attached to the heatsink because I didnt see anything else in the box.

kylebussen said:
No that was actual CPU temps using Everest.
Everest is just software. Where does software get its CPU temp readings? The motherboard. Everest and any other program you can find will read the same temperatures, since they're just taking the readings from the motherboard.
The only way to accuratly read CPU temperatures is with a seperate temp probe/sensor.

kylebussen said:
Now you mentioned the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. Is it already attached to the heatsink because I didnt see anything else in the box.
Not too sure about that. I'll have to check when I get home; I've got a few Opteron144 boxes around with the stock heatsinks untouched (Don't need them). I should be getting home within 3 hours of this post. :)

kylebussen said:
Now you mentioned the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. Is it already attached to the heatsink because I didnt see anything else in the box.

I can answer that now, I have a Opty 146 and heatsink here, and there is a layer of dark silver. (darher than the heatsink.) paste already on there, just the right size for the CPU.

Back