Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Forum Feedback
Forum Feedback Likes and Gripes about the Forums. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

AutoMatic Pm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 05:56 AM Thread Starter   #1
Amarkarian

AutoMatic Pm

I think it would be really usefull if there was a way to autmatically send a pm when ur thread is locked/deleted. Just a defualt message that says, ur thread _____ was locked today becuase of ______. Mods can choose from 5 options so it is easy for them, the five options could be, talk of warez, selling outside classifieds........

just a thought
Amarkarian is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 07:46 AM   #2
Gnufsh

Does it happen all that often? I've never had a thread of mine locked or deleted.

...at least not that I know about. I guess I get your point.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 12:48 PM   #3
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

If it's not obvious why I lock a thread, I'll say why I locked it. Either in PM or in the thread.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 03:01 PM   #4
Super Nade
SU(3) Moderator

Sometimes, a perfectly legitimate thread can go awry due to the actions of other people. What can the OP do in such a case? No point in notifying the OP

Words of wisdom from krag:
"Love & trust are 2 completely different things. Trust is earned, love on the other hand should be given without measure."
My hwbot profile
Super Nade is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 03:36 PM   #5
Kendan
Senior Punk

I am all for notification. But not the Op. Notify the offender by PM! This should be a requirement for the simple reasoning that if they do not go back to the thread that was locked or the post that was edited, then they will not have any idea they did something wrong and are more likely to do it again.

Old 01-12-06, 03:38 PM   #6
IWasHungry

Sometimes, though...I'm not sure why the thread was locked, and the admin doesn't give a reason in the last post.
IWasHungry is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 03:43 PM   #7
TollhouseFrank
Senior Headphone Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasHungry
Sometimes, though...I'm not sure why the thread was locked, and the admin doesn't give a reason in the last post.
Once you are here longer, you understand more and more why certain threads get locked.

Also... believe it or not... I've asked for one of my own threads to be locked. I'd gotten all the info needed, nobody could add anything to it, so I asked Oni to lock it and he did.

TollhouseFrank is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 03:52 PM Thread Starter   #8
Amarkarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnufsh
Does it happen all that often? I've never had a thread of mine locked or deleted.

...at least not that I know about. I guess I get your point.
you dont know that, because u may assume it just got pushed down to the second page
Amarkarian is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 04:03 PM   #9
William
Prodigal Son Moderator

10 Year Badge

The only threads I lock without an explination are those in GD, but there is a sticky on why those threads have been locked. I also very rarely delete a thread, I tend to just delete the crap out of the thread and let it go from there.

If you have a question about why and you don't know the reason, PM the mod or admin, or if you don't know who locked the thread, then a mod or admin.

I am not opposed to such a feature at all, but I don't know if it exists as a mod to vB that we could install or whatnot.

House: This is the only way! Sometimes solutions are NP complete and there's nothing anyone can do about it! Foreman, sneak into the physics department and reroute their servers to ours, we need the extra processors if we don't want this equation to go quadratic on us. Chase, patch the memory leak and install Matlab 9.3.
Chase: Shouldn't we be using Mathematica for potentially asymptotic functions?
House: When I want your opinion, I'll do an affine transformation to get it. I'm off to see Cuddy. Those parabolic eigenvalues of hers must be good for something.
William is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-06, 05:43 PM   #10
Gnufsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarian
you dont know that, because u may assume it just got pushed down to the second page
Actually, I'm fairly certain that none of my threads hve been locked.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Forum Feedback
Forum Feedback Likes and Gripes about the Forums. No Post Count.