• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 pro killed two motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sterVin

anyone else hear of this ever happening? my 9800 pro (stock clocking) made my NF7 stop working. at first I thought it was just the card but then I tried my old gforce4 mx440 and nothing showed up on the monitor. I then tried a different monitor, which I know works, with the mx440 and still nothing. I decided to try the 9800 on my dads computer (gigabyte mobo, amd 1800+) and I still got a black screen. I plugged in his 9200se (the graphics card that was in his system before I took it out) and again nothing showed up on the monitor.

so anyway, I sit here now typing this on a six year old dell using the monitor that I tried 2nd.

Ihave had a very similar experience. I have the same mb(mines a -s)/cpu/video card as you. I changed over to a shuttle for a while and when I switched back after the shuttle board went bad the 9800 wouldnt work. I tried my old one,also a 440, and still no dice. Now I am probably just going to jump ship and go with a 939 setup. I would like to find an uber cheap board that I could pick up just to make sure that the card is dead and not just the agp slot.

sterVin said:
anyone else hear of this ever happening? my 9800 pro (stock clocking) made my NF7 stop working. at first I thought it was just the card but then I tried my old gforce4 mx440 and nothing showed up on the monitor. I then tried a different monitor, which I know works, with the mx440 and still nothing. I decided to try the 9800 on my dads computer (gigabyte mobo, amd 1800+) and I still got a black screen. I plugged in his 9200se (the graphics card that was in his system before I took it out) and again nothing showed up on the

One last thing you could try to identify whether your motherboard or PSU or both are fried! If I were you I would measure your motherboard's voltage rails to see IF any voltages are out-of-limits or even dead with your normal things installed! If all the voltages are present and within limits, then chance is your motherboard is fried is HIGH! Also don't forget to check your Monitor too.

EvilCloudStrife said:
did you try clearing the cmos both times? also make sure the power cord is out of the PSU when playing around down there.

yes and yes

One last thing you could try to identify whether your motherboard or PSU or both are fried
I know the PSU on mine (Antec 430w) is fine; I don't know about the PSU on my dad's rig.

Back