• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ktgamer

Registered
ill be getting an asus a8n32-sli soon and need a good processor to go with it. i dont over clock yet so im looking for good out of the box performance (once i get my new set up im gonna try ocing on this machine i have currently) but my price range is 300-350. what is the better cpu, opti, ath 64 or dual core, and what has the most potential in the future? i can probably answer that my self by saying dual core, but they are pricy.

Dual Core Opterons are always attractive.

For out of box performance, a 175 would be great if you can find a good deal on one.

But then again, one can get a 165 and OC it to perform way better than a 175. It's completely up to you.

Best bang for the buck right now is deffinatlly the Opty 165....i got mine for $300 flat a few weeks ago, 1.8 -> 2.8 with abit of tweakin :)

Either the Opteron 165 or 170. The 165 has a 9x multiplier, so you'd need high HTT and good ram to get the clocks you want. The 170 has a 10x multiplier, which makes it easier to hit 2.7 or 2.8ghz.

DC all the babes. I dont know why u wont OC but 3800 are really sweet but that looking at the OCing side of things more than stock.

Personally, when I OCed my cpu from 2.4 to 2.9 I did not notice a huge difference when doing everyday things, but in games, it did make a visual difference.

Good luck and dont forget...DC...aja aja fighting!

ok so dual it shall be but if im not going to oc right now will some corsaire value ram work untill i get extra cash to get some xms ram? i have 2x512 corsaire vr the timings are 3-3-3-8 at stock speeds

Sure, that will be fine for the time being. You will have to run a divider, but that won't hurt performance too much.

Definitely go for the Opti over the X2 as it overclocks much better for the most part. I bought mine for under $300 oem and it runs 2655MHz on stock voltage.

this my be a stupid question, but divider? do i have something wrong with my current set up that might be hindering performance? i know you shouldnt run different brands but ive got the corsaire vr 2x512 in the blue slots and kingston vr 2x512 in the black of my asus a8v deluxe, the have the same timings 3-3-3-8 and just plug and played them, didnt set any thing up. is that bad? sorry im new to all this and ive learned so much already its overwhelming im trying to figure out optimal stock settings before i try to oc.

Back