• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any point in faster DDR2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

Seems to be a question everyone avoids answering elsewhere but let's try it here ...

On the last piece of my new rig - the RAM - and need to make a decision ASAP as it's killing me to sit here and look at all these new parts and not be able to do anything. ;) Any help would be appreciated. :)

Here's the basic setup:

- Abit AW8-Max
- Pentium D 930
- OCZ 520W PSU
- Sapphire X800 XL

I'm looking to use 2GB of DDR2 (1GB x 2 - running in dual-chan of course) and wondering what the best way to go is.

Scenario #1
Let's say I OC the CPU to 3990MHz which would give me a 1064MHz FSB (266 x 4). That in mind DDR2 @ 533MHz (266 x 2) would be pretty much be ideal, no? Or does it work out better if I get some RAM I can OC to 1064MHz (i.e. some PC2-6400 - just assume with me for a moment I could OC it that far - remember, this is theoretical)? Or would the extra RAM speed be wasted?

Scenario #2
Let's say I OC the CPU to 4500MHz which would give me a 1200MHz FSB (300 x 4). Same thing as above .. Would I go for DDR2 @ 600MHz (300 x 2)? Or would I go for PC2-8000 and OC it to 1200MHz?

I'm just wondering if there are valuable real life gains to be had from buying the faster RAM or is all that extra bandwidth going to be wasted and stuck in a bottleneck?

Thanks again for any help. :)

Thanks for the reply Nasgul ...

... but will I truly benefit from having the RAM speed doubling that of the CPU FSB? (as opposed to them being equal).

I notice you've got a 1:2 running so have you ever tried it at 1:1 to see what the difference is?

* btw .. pqi timings a little high at those speeds but nice clocks for such cheap RAM. What ICs/PCB if you know?

Last edited:
from RJLeong65 on the Corsair forums:

To answer your question (brief and to the point):

Intel's LGA775 processors do benefit from the extra bandwidth of running your memory at a faster actual clockspeed than your processor's actual front-side-bus clockspeed - up to a certain extent. In the case of an "800FSB" processor (whose FSB runs at an actual 200MHz), the law of diminishing returns kicks in at about DDR2-600 speed (a 2:3 divider ratio). This means that DDR2-800 memory will not deliver all that much higher overall performance than will DDR2-667 memory when used with an "800FSB" processor.

Overall thats good information you have been given so far. What you want to buy RAM for at this point is for a future platform since you will almost always run asynch on Intel until Conroe / Pentium 5 of next year.

Reguardless of this I would still suggest atleast DDR667 to insure you wont have to buy faster ram in a couple months from now

Sentential said:
Overall thats good information you have been given so far. What you want to buy RAM for at this point is for a future platform since you will almost always run asynch on Intel until Conroe / Pentium 5 of next year.

Reguardless of this I would still suggest atleast DDR667 to insure you wont have to buy faster ram in a couple months from now

Which info? heh As always, the opinions are conflicting so I don't know which way to go.

Above, Nasgul's recommends a 667MHz with the implication that I should OC the RAM.

The guy on the Corsair forums however says anything over 600Mhz or so is a waste.

You say I should buy at least 667Mhz.

All in all, that leaves me where I started - confused - especially when it comes from 3 guys who seem to know their stuff. :(

I have never moved RAM from 1 system to another, so I don't presume I will be doing so in this case either. Usually I go about 3 years in between new rigs and by that time, technology has changed drastically and most of my components aren't worth keeping - especially the mobo, RAM, CPU and vid card.

I can run 1:1 now without a problem but I'm wondering what if anything is to be gained by a 1:2. I just want to plan the RAM for the current components because as I said, these parts will be with me for about the next 3 years.

Thanks again for all the responses. I really do appreciate it - just trying to get a better understanding of the "real world" results of 1:1 vs. 1:2 on this particular system. :)

DsN said:
Which info? heh As always, the opinions are conflicting so I don't know which way to go.

Above, Nasgul's recommends a 667MHz with the implication that I should OC the RAM.

The guy on the Corsair forums however says anything over 600Mhz or so is a waste.
They are both right. Nasgul and I are implying that you should buy faster ram to the point of it being cost effective for future platforms that will have a native DDR2-667 bus instead of 400.

The rep from corsair is also correct, when running asynch you face diminishing returns when it is above what the FSB is capable of handeling, that being said you are not buying RAM for this platform.

You are buying RAM that will hopefully last you your entire time with this PC and your next pc for both standard use and overclocking. My advice is to buy a reasonably priced 2gb ddr2-667 for your current and future pc.

Thanks again for the replies. By the way, RJLeong65 is on the forums but he isn't a Corsair rep. Actually, he seems to know quite a bit more than their rep - or is simply willing to give more straight answers. OK, back to the topic though ...

Chances are, as far as the primary components go, the new rig will go unchanged for 3 years or so. By the time I usually upgrade, it's time to replace eveything as standards have changed drastically, etc. Based on info here I'll pick up some 667MHz as I was originally going to do. I was looking at some 800MHz DDR2 that was very close in price but availibility is next to nil and based on the info I have gotten, there is little to gain by waiting for it.

Back