• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multipier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pear

Registered
Which one would give me a 10 multiplier.... Opteron dc 165 or X2-3800?

the opteron 170 gives a 10x.

since the 4400 gives an 11x...i was under the impression the 3800 was 9x?

I am planning on upgrading real soon, but still not sure which CPU to get.

Below is what I am thinking on getting, I don't play games but do a little multitasking, and basically just surf the net.

CPU Opteron 165 or X2-3800
Abit AN8 Ultra Sata2
Sapphire Radeon X700 256MB
Maxtor 250GB Sata2

pear said:
I am planning on upgrading real soon, but still not sure which CPU to get.

Below is what I am thinking on getting, I don't play games but do a little multitasking, and basically just surf the net.

CPU Opteron 165 or X2-3800
Abit AN8 Ultra Sata2
Sapphire Radeon X700 256MB
Maxtor 250GB Sata2

Dude don't buy Maxtor Hard drives.Between me and 1 of my best friends 4 Maxtor HDDs died on us. You'll pay like 20 bucks more for a Seagate or something and it will stay with u for years without any problems, I can tell u from experience. Also if u just need multi-tasking and not too much power go with the X2 3800+ because stock it's great for that and it's also earned the title 'Overclock King' for having the highest bang for ur buck after being overclocked.

This is what I'd recommend you to get:

Opteron 165 s939.
DFI Ultra-D (try to get the AD0 revision, those seem to OC noticably better, newegg supposedly now sells them)
Gefore 6600GT or Radeon X800(GT). the X700 is slower than the 6600GT, the 6600GT is slower than the X800(GT), especially when both are OCed.
The HD of your choice, I don't know about NDX_WARLORD, but my Maxtor 80GB DM8 is working like a charm for over 3 years, mostly 24/7 too.
I'm guessing you're planning on sticking with the RAM you currently have? It'll be fine for now.
I would also recommend you to get a new PSU, Generic stuff just doesn't cut it when it comes to A64 OCing. A good and relatively inexpensive option is the Fortron BlueStorm 500W.

Go with the 165, even if you don't do much, you can easily get a 200mhz OC to hit 2.0ghz like the X2 3800+.

I've heard many good things about Maxtor HDDs, but its up to you.

Back