• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tip for improving cooling with an asus vento

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kovboi

i have an asus vento and, yes, i always feel like that's a confession rather than a statement. :p i know a few others here have one and thought i would share a recent discovery. for a while i was content (though not overjoyed) with the case temps. last night i was testing the air flow with an incense stick and noticed that air was being pulled through the front usb/sound ports. since i don't use them anyway, here's what i did:

1. take off the front bezel/hood (you have to push on the tabs along the inside edge) and then remove the lower box that's screwed on to the front.
2. take out the usb/sound ports altogether. thread all remaining wires around the side of the box rather than through the big hole in the center. inside the case, fasten them to the vent grating on the left side (i used an ordinary twistie) to keep them out of the way.
3. install a 120mm fan behind the front grating. i had to use three long screws to do the job since the square holes in the grating aren't meant for fans.
4. ...put it all back together again.

after doing that, my temps dropped significantly. my cpu temp under load used to be 40-41C, now it is 35-36C. my 6800gt used to idle at 59C, but now it is at 56C. my harddrives are running about 3-4C cooler, as well.

i should note that i've also tried putting a 92mm fan on the right side vent, an additional 92mm fan inside to pull air from the vents and blow upwards across the motherboard, and even tried replacing the latter with a 120mm fan. but this way works far better and is a bit quieter. :cool:

EDIT: oops, this probably should have been posted in the cooling section. sorry.

Last edited:
Back