• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice Core voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveio101

Registered
My venice 64 3000 is currently running@250x4

however im having some stabiltiy issues, sometimes its albo****ly fine, can run all prime 95 tests for hours with no issuse, then on the next boot it'll crash.

i have tried incresing the Vcore, which is fluctating between 1.376 and 1.392 (should be 1.4)
sometimes raising the voltage to 1.425 in the bios works and all is stable again, then next boot it wont run until i bring the Vcore back to 1.4!

anyone else ocing the venice if so what voltages are you running?

ps temps are great idle 25c load 30c

Try a different stability testing program, and check for mem errors with memtest86, let it run for a couple of hours. By the way it is ok for the vcore to fluctuate a little make sure you have a quality psu which is able to provide enough power.

Steveio101 said:
albo****ly

ok that really makes me wonder what those *s are hiding :shrug:

as above, id check the PSU. even though most boards slightly undervolt, 0.03V is quite a bit, does it fluxuate more under load? if so, PSU PSU PSU most probably :p

Careface*

running a ocz modstream 450

realised after posting last night that i have the Nforce3 250gb chipset meaning that i only have an 800mhz fsb which id been running at 250x4!

so i've droped the htt multiplier to 3x and brought the speed up to 267mhz which has brough the cpu up to 2405mhz and the fsb stays at 801mhz

Seems to be stable if i set it to 1.450v in the bios whihc accoring to CPUZ is only actually pushing 1.424v

I have a Sempron64 3000+, which is a socket 754 Venice with 128KB of L2 cache. I run it at 1.65V with a TT Big Typhoon, and it has been that way for a couple of months now. I haven't had any problems.
Most people will tell you a lot lower than that, usually around 1.5-1.6V.

realised after posting last night that i have the Nforce3 250gb chipset meaning that i only have an 800mhz fsb which id been running at 250x4!
Most of them can run around 1000MHz with no problems. I am running mine (on the Chaintech VNF3-250) at about 912 (304x3).

Last edited:
At stock speeds I was accidentally running over 1.8 volts for a couple of weeks.
Overclocked to 2.5Ghz, I run it at 1.55 volts.

Quailane said:
At stock speeds I was accidentally running over 1.8 volts for a couple of weeks.
Overclocked to 2.5Ghz, I run it at 1.55 volts.
Wow, Quailane, that could have been some big accident! That is a 28.6% overvolt. Ouch!

rseven said:
Wow, Quailane, that could have been some big accident! That is a 28.6% overvolt. Ouch!

I posted a couple of months ago that my venice wasnt even stable (ie got into windows then rebooted) at stock, took me a couple of hours to get over my panic and check BIOS volts and the chip was running 1.86V ..32.9% overvolt.. my venice hasnt been able to hit its "normal" oc of 2.7 since.. most i can get out of it its 2.61 :(

Careface*

ahh crap, i was stable for a day despite nummerous reboots, starting to think this Nforce3 250gb chipset is just unstable, seem i have good days and bad days!

Steveio101 said:
ahh crap, i was stable for a day despite nummerous reboots, starting to think this Nforce3 250gb chipset is just unstable, seem i have good days and bad days!
I believe NF3 chipsets for the 939 socket are riddled with problems. It was originally designed for the 754 chipset and was adapted to the 939, but never had it all together for that socket. It was quickly orphaned by Nvidia when they came out with the NF4, which is clearly superior. The best AGP board for an A64 is the ASRock SATAII Uli1695 based board.

I've been running my venice at 1.7v for at least 5-6 months now and it's just as peppy as the first day I got it. Sadly you guys won't get to see me fry it as many believe I will, cause my Opty will be here soon!

Listen to the wise and "sometimes intoxicated" rseven. :D The Asrock will be your best choice if you decide to get a better board. Does it run stable at stock speeds?

This is what i have experienced with my venice. when i first got the chip and was trying to get the maximum speed it would top out at 2700 with 1.55volts. i ran it this way for about a month and one day i decided to try lowering the voltage and testing to see if it would run with lower volts. well low and behold what do you know i am at 2700mhz on only 1.48vcore!!!! So here is what i learned from my chip. the reason i can get such low volts is due to the time it has been overclocked. the chip is now burned in at 2700mhz and its comfortable there and so i was able to lower the voltage. Burning in is key to getting max clocks lowest volts etc etc etc.

hmm, never been a fan of ASROCK stuff, had problems with it in the past. everything is totaly stable at stock speeds, but hey who'd want to run that slow!

You are right, ASRock has never had a good rep, but this board and chipset seem to be the exception. There is a huge thread about it in the AMD Motherboards, Other Motherboards section of the forum.

Dont mean to thread jack or anything but ive got a s754 3000+ Venice sitting here and was wondering how high I could take the voltage on it. Stock voltage is 1.4v so I was thinking around 1.6v would be ok.

inkfx said:
Dont mean to thread jack or anything but ive got a s754 3000+ Venice sitting here and was wondering how high I could take the voltage on it. Stock voltage is 1.4v so I was thinking around 1.6v would be ok.
Yeah, your right, 1.6v should be safe enough with decent cooling.

Back