• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PS or just wait???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bikinistud

Hi all, this is my first post in the section and i'm not really up on power supplies. Anyway... I currently have a 550 Antec (in my sig) and yet I swear that this setup is terrible for overclocking. I can OC it to death and get it stable until i open the cd-rom, then prime will fail or if i plug something in to the usb port it will fail. Now i know asus boards have droop but dang... that's not good.

And while i know that dual rails is bad for pentium d's, i just wanted to know if it would be worth it to opt for either the OCZ or the PCP&C.

Is it worth it to upgrade? Will it solidify my clocks or is it just a waste of money?

What version of the 550 TP do you have.

The older models are notorious for a sagging 12V rail.
and powering up a drive is sometimes just enough to make it drop too far

I have version 2.0, i think that's the latest one. And as for checking the 12v, i have checked the 4 prong molex connectors and they hang around 11.95 under full load. However, the other 12V rail goes to the main board and I don't know how to test it while it's under load. And while the main board sensors are not accurate, mine will dip down to 11.58 sometimes under load.

Can you just stick the volt meter in the backside of the plug so i can get an accurate measurement while it's running?

Ok, now i'm just waiting on the volt meter i forgot at home... thanks guys for the help. I'll report back once i find out the exact volts

Ok, measuring the 12v line (the 4 pin plug going into the motherboard) i get ~11.74 under full load. Is that bad. Vcore is set to auto (which i don't know how to measure physically) All i can tell you is that it is set at 1.375 and the motherboard reports ~1.25 under load.

Any input is appreciated.

~bikinistud

Back