• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Final Fantasy 7 run on my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LegolasElf said:
LOL as old as that game is, rewuierign liek a Pentium 1 100 MHz processor, do i have achance of playing it?

What is the word in bold supposed to be... LOL! Requiring? HAH

Just look for any patches for the game on the net... I installed Sid Meier's Gettysburg (old game, from directx 7 era I believe) a few weeks ago and it gave me a 'non valid win 32 application' error... simple patch off the net fixed it for me.

He's talking about the actual Windows release of FF7, not roms and emulators which are a grey area around here (roms being illegal despite warnings of the 24 hr deletion, and emulators being quasi legal in the first place).

FF7 should run fine on your computer, there were patches released iirc to make it compatable with windows xp/2k.

I don't think it will run on a P1, with only a 100mhz processor. And it might need a small amount of video ram to run as well, which a PC of that calibur lacks..

READ gents... he's wondering if his computer is TOO GOOD to run the game... He's saying the game was created with a 100MHz cpu in mind...

according to gamespot
Minimum System Requirements
System: Pentium-133 or equivalent
RAM: 32 MB
Video Memory: 2 MB
Hard Drive Space: 260 MB

Gamespot also has the windows xp chocobo patch but I don't how that will
work.

OC that P1 to 133.

yes it will run, i had it running on my 2.7ghz venice, and it ran perfectly fine (except for random battles' loading screen, which went WAY too fast) the game is made to just run and not use all the resources the pc provides.

Careface*

I ran the game on my rig below even when it was overclocked to 2.2ghz it worked. Don't expect any fantastic graphics over the PSone release there's no difference except maybe loading times. Some little bugs like if you have a loud HDD you'll know when your going into a battle with it reading data of it to load the battle ground up.

The game is the best RPG out there still in my eyes I've got it for PSone I did have a copy of it for PC. But when I got to the part where the KeyStone get's stolen by Cat-Sith it kept crashing till that part I never patched the game. And couldn't find a patch to fix the crash problem but it'll play on your system if it don't I'll burn my PC.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I ran the game on my rig below even when it was overclocked to 2.2ghz it worked. Don't expect any fantastic graphics over the PSone release there's no difference except maybe loading times. Some little bugs like if you have a loud HDD you'll know when your going into a battle with it reading data of it to load the battle ground up.

The game is the best RPG out there still in my eyes I've got it for PSone I did have a copy of it for PC. But when I got to the part where the KeyStone get's stolen by Cat-Sith it kept crashing till that part I never patched the game. And couldn't find a patch to fix the crash problem but it'll play on your system if it don't I'll burn my PC.

actually, what you said in the first paragraph isn't true...about the graphics.

( if using Nvidia, since i'v never messed with ATI settings, but can't be that much different... ) you can set up a FF7 profile, to enable AA. i think there's a patch out for FF7 to allow this as well ( never could find it ). It will then force Anti-aliasing to be used on the game. On the fly renderings ( aka, Battles, world map, characters ) will look ALOT better.

BUT, Pre-rendered back ground images on the other hand....doesn't fair so well.

the backgrounds seem to be made up of Tiles. And then put together like a puzzle. well when AA is on, it likes to try to smooth out the edges of those Background image tiles, causing long blue lines going left and right, and up and down.

My friend ( using a 5600 FX ) was able to mess with the settings, and get those lines to go away. me on the other hand ( 5500 FX, but havn't tried it too much with this card ), can only get rid of the horizontal lines. but i get stuck with vertical lines. In one sceen, i can see about...10'ish Blue lines in the background. I know there's GOT to be a way to fix that, but i'm still working on that, and i'm going to check out my friend's FF7 profile, and replicate it on my card...and see what happens.

so with a bit of teaking, and playing with settings, you CAN get the game to look ALOT better on the PC than it did on the Playstation.

I know for a fact that FF7 will NOT run on my computer (running W2K)- at least not right out of the box. The opening video sequence with the train... everything is upside down. It could very well be fixed with a patch, but I didn't spend that much time trying to get it to work.

whooping_a_panda said:
He's talking about the actual Windows release of FF7, not roms and emulators which are a grey area around here (roms being illegal despite warnings of the 24 hr deletion, and emulators being quasi legal in the first place).

FF7 should run fine on your computer, there were patches released iirc to make it compatable with windows xp/2k.
I didn't know that they had FF7 for the PC sorry about the confusion :bang head . Also where could i get a copy i have never played FF7 and would like to

Im gonna order it from ebay since i cant find it anywhere lol, its rare as hell. People are charging up to $60 for it on ebay.

Back