• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Log: Industrial Strength Velcro (no case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcadidas13

Registered
Hi. This is my first post. Enjoy.

Hardware:
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
Processor: AMD Opteron 165
Video Card: nVidia 6800gs
Memory: Nanya Technology DDR400 512MB (x2)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Power Supply: Enermax Whisper 350W
Heatsink: Scythe Ninja
Optical: Unknown CD-R/W
Monitor: ViewSonic G810 25"
Case: The Underside of a Really Old Drafting Table

It all started when friend and OC Forum member p|astic purchased the above motherboard for me for Christmas. I was then obligated to buy the rest of my computer, and if I was going to do that, I wanted to make sure it was as close as I could get to top of the line that I could afford.

I'm pretty sure that the pictures will do most of the talking. But if you guys have any questions please ask and I will answer each and every one of them.

img01465yc.jpg

Not a bad box.

img01479nn.jpg

Whats better is what is inside.

img04694xn.jpg

Here's the before shot - a computer from two years ago and a laptop from about 6 months ago.

img05154ce.jpg

The underside of the desk.

img05170no.jpg

Turning it around so we can work on it.

img05376gq.jpg

After getting the table onto the ground, preliminary positioning of the elements.

img05577uv.jpg

Sweet, sexy Industrial Strength Velcro. What am i gonna use this for?

Continued...

img05681ft.jpg

After cleaning the PSU and table with Rubbing Alcohol (VERY important), sticking the velcro sides to each and securing very tightly. It won't budge!

img05692gv.jpg

Power supply is now seated.

img05709vx.jpg

Running wires to the motherboard and future positions of hard drive and optical drive.

img05814ow.jpg

There's the optical, and my round IDE cable ran to it.

img06803lp.jpg

The video card.

img06816kq.jpg

What a monster of a heatsink.

img06842xl.jpg

Heatsink, video card, and the processor.

Continued...

img07006om.jpg

Processor vital information.

img07046hy.jpg

WD Raptor mounted to the table with velcro - no, it doesnt make any vibrations, the velcro absorbs it.

img07058wo.jpg

What a mess...

img07222cc.jpg

The Scythe Ninja Heatsink.

img07235eq.jpg

No need to run a fan on this (Really!) but...

img07251qd.jpg

We are gonna see how fast we can get my Opteron 165 to run.

img07766pg.jpg

We were concerned about the video card falling out of the PCI-e slots, so I used some fishing wire to fasten it in place.

Continued...

Last edited:
img07776io.jpg

Here is the far side, looped around a screw...

img07786jp.jpg

And the near side was a bit tricky. Wrapping the fishing wire around the loosened screw clockwise and pulling it taught, then tightening the screw into place will make the fishing line stretch tight enough to hold the graphics card in place.

img07798sk.jpg

Another picture of the whole thing, almost finished.

img07809bp.jpg

Putting the table back into place... very carefully...

img07839bq.jpg

And there we are. One fan here, we'll see how temperatures are and add more as needed.

img07821uu.jpg

Another shot...

img07848ir.jpg

And another.

Continued...

img07854jh.jpg

img07888mw.jpg

img07909rz.jpg

17" Samtron piece-o-crap on the left, 25" ViewSonic on the right.

img07943zf.jpg

And there is another almost finished shot.

Here are the pictures of the finished (for now) computer:

dscf72360cm.jpg

Here's a picture of some fans i picked up about 6 months ago for a car audio installation that i never got around to. They are silent and they assist airflow to the processor fan. They are affixed on the top by velcro.

dscf72370zz.jpg

Here is my hard drive fan. It, as well as the processor fan, is a Delta tri-blade. Pretty quiet even at 12v. It is affixed at the top by velcro and you can probably see a fishing wire attached to the near corner of the fan, that loops up and around the top right corner of the hard drive, into a screw in the side of the hard drive, using the same clockwise rotation trick mentioned before.

dscf72389ak.jpg

And here's the whole thing from the floor.

Performance:

Max Stable CPU Frequency: 2.75 GHz (1.62v) (HTT = 305)
*Ran Stress Prime 2004 on both cores (one priority 9, one priority 10) for 14 hours
Max Bootable CPU Frequency: 3.006 GHz (1.65v) (HTT = 325)
Ram Speed: 150MHz
Ram Timings: 2-3-2-5
Best Stable AquaMark score: 85,100
Best Bootable AquaMark score: 86,xxx
CS:S Stress Test (all max settings, vsync off, antialiasing: 4x and filtering: anisotropic 4x): 165.1 fps

Idle temperatures:
CPU: 28C
NB: 40C (going to re-seat)
HD: 24C

I havent seen the CPU above 41 yet.

Keyboard: Logitech wired standard
Mouse: Logitech MX518 with Steelpad and teflon pads

LOL i think i covered everything.

Last edited:
vonkaar said:
Welcome to the forums ^_^

Cool idea - original. Does it heat your legs to hell and back? I'd be afraid of kicking it =p.
Thanks. No actually I havent noticed any heat billowing off of it yet, but i havent really paid attention to it. The fans are situated to blow toward the back though so I dont know.

Yeah sometimes I put my feet up on the computer case and every 1 out of 10 times i tap the heatsink, but never really hard.

Thanks for your input

I'd be afraid of getting chopped up by the fans :-/ , maybe make a ghetto cardboard case for it with some grills?

Very very very niceee!

i'd definately do that with my rig, but i'd be scared of the heatsink falling. How heavy is the scythe?

Welcome! Wicked cool idea. I too would be scared of braking someing off or the velcro not holding very well, but I think you did a good job and it's original, so more props to you!

Back