• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance for X850 Pro AGP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kwongnewman

Registered
I went to Best Buy the other day and picked up an X850 Pro AGP to replace my old FX5200. So far, I overclocked it to 600/570 and scored 4401 in 3DMark05. I'm wondering is that good? I was expecting slightly higher. I tried unlocking to 16 pipelines, but no luck so far.

My system specs are as follows:
ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800
AMD Sempron 3000+ S754 @ 2 Ghz
Samsung 512 MB DDR400 - This might be what's holding me back...
80 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HD
ATI Radeon X850 Pro AGP
FSP Sparkle 400W PSU

Running on 12 pipes X850 pro with Sempron-128KB L2 at 2.0, it seems about right. The L2 helps 3dmark05 a lot. A Sempron with 128K L2 at 2.0 is like a regular A64 with 512K L2 at 1.6. Why didn't you buy the Sempron 2500 with the 256K L2? I guess it's too late now and it not worth changing the CPU to the 2500.

The best thing you can do now to increase the 3Dmark performance is to unlock the extra 4 pipes. You should be able to get about 900 to 1200 points more if you are able to unlock it.

Any advise on unlocking the pipes? I followed the sticky in the ATI forums exactly, using ATI Flash and a X850XT w/ fan control BIOS. When I flash it, it tells me it is successful, but it still shows 12 pipelines in ATITool. :(

I would take it back to best buy and exchange it for another one and maybe that one will unlock. But u didnt hear that from me.

Don't you have to reload the drivers to see the extra 4 pipelines?

- Wisdom

I'm fairly certain that I used the instructions at this link to enable 16 pipelines on my X850 pro. The link is listed inside some of the threads here. Good luck. How long before you need to make the return or keep decision?

- Wisdom

Mine worked like a charm. There shouldnt be any problems with the flash, it should just work on the first try. If its not working the card is superlocked. I would try to get my hands on another card if possible or be stuck in 12 pipe wonder world forever.

got another 8 days or so before i cannot return anymore

but if i do return, i prob will go upgrade my whole system. looking at something like asus a8n-e and a s939 athlon 64 3200+ along with maybe a 7800gt.

Back