• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fine at 60hz but jumpy at anything else

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TweakGames

Hi, I got my 21 inch crt from azertec and it says it does 85 hz at 1600 x 1200 and such blah blah and it does but its really jumpy. I can actully see the screen jumping up and down at anything other then 60 hz and at any resolution. Just to clerify its not jumpy at 60hz at 800 x 600 or 60 hz at 1600 x 1200, but it is jumpy at 75hz at 800 / 1600 and 85 hz at 800/1600.
What should I do? I emailed them and they want me to ship it back but its a huge 21 inch crt and thats going to cost A LOT and they want the origional box but I had to throw it away because im in a dorm and it was taking up 1/2 the room hehe. Any ideas? Thanks!

I take it all the settings in the OSD are all at their default.

Other than that, I can honestly tell you that I don't have the faintest idea. I'd try running down the monitor making sure that all the connections are nice and tight. I'd also make sure that the cable is of reasonable quality; if it looks like something your keyboard would use then chuck it. Also, I'd try using the dedicated analouge output rather than using a DVI-VGA convertor; or visa versa.

Make SURE you don't have other components by your monitor that might interfere with the tube, including subs/speakers, water cooling pump, flourescent lights. Also try degaussing from the on screen display menu.

I had this problem where if you are in the US the outlets are 60Hz so if that is your refresh it is in sync with the electrical noise around and doesn't cause any jumpiness/waviness. But at a different rate the background electrical noise could cause problems.

If you're sure there's nothing around causing that (could even be a neighbors room or the wiring in the walls - dorm rooms are usually packed close together) and you've tried moving the monitor around to different locations (if possible hook it up to another computer and test) and seen no change then I don't know, probably is the monitor.

Albigger said:
Make SURE you don't have other components by your monitor that might interfere with the tube, including subs/speakers, water cooling pump, flourescent lights. Also try degaussing from the on screen display menu.

Speakers cause CRTs to go ape****. Stupid magnets.

Albigger said:

I had this problem where if you are in the US the outlets are 60Hz so if that is your refresh it is in sync with the electrical noise around and doesn't cause any jumpiness/waviness. But at a different rate the background electrical noise could cause problems.

If you're sure there's nothing around causing that (could even be a neighbors room or the wiring in the walls - dorm rooms are usually packed close together) and you've tried moving the monitor around to different locations (if possible hook it up to another computer and test) and seen no change then I don't know, probably is the monitor.

OMG THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! a little power strip was next to my monitor!!! FIXED THE JUMPING !! UR LEET! thanks so so so much u just saved me tons of money sorry im giddy right now! WWEEEEEEE :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Great call, Albigger! :thup: :thup:

TweakGames, it's still a good idea to get to manufacturers driver as it will give many more options than the one that comes with XP. Enjoy the new monitor! Cheers! :beer:

Ahh it all makes sense now I did not realize it was a CRT XD I remember in school I used to bring a manget to school and screw up all the monitors then laugh at the techs trying to fix them all

Glad to help :cool:

Plus it was a good description you gave, it instantly rang a bell in my head from when my watercooling pump used to cause distortion unless I ran my CRT @ 60Hz. Now with my LCD's I don't have to worry about refresh, but it was annoying at the time.

Back