• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dothan lowest voltage you run.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i wont be throwing a new 400fsb dothan in it for a few weeks but im trying to maximise my battery times.its a 533 1.6 btw
i need 2gb of ram first then ill worry about speed. 512mb is the sux~!

how low you guys run your voltage at you max battery settings?
mines settings are 6x multi 800mhz .988v

any suggestion on where to start at when going for lowest voltage testing and working my way down?

I dont think theres any noticible change in battery times between 400-533 chips, if you are really looking for longer battery there are much better ways to go than to buy a slower CPU. Its up to you to figure out how low your chip can go, the simplest way would just be to lower the voltage, reboot and run superpi. What laptop are you doing this on?

smekta3 said:
I dont think theres any noticible change in battery times between 400-533 chips, if you are really looking for longer battery there are much better ways to go than to buy a slower CPU. Its up to you to figure out how low your chip can go, the simplest way would just be to lower the voltage, reboot and run superpi. What laptop are you doing this on?

the mention of the 400fsb chip is ill be adding it later as it can be overclocked.the 533 cant.id never buy a slower cpu for any reason except to overclock it to faster than what i have now.
im planning 2.26 from a 1.7 400fsb dothan

anyhow i just want to know what people are running for thier lowest voltages so i know where to start without spending 3 days testing from the begining.

One of the earlier Dothans thus not as good as the newer ones but...

600mhz @ 0.700v
1600mhz @ 1.020v

Using RMClock 1.8 and all auto intermediate states.

When gaming I usually max out at 60 degrees. That's with a Radeon 9700 at 445mhz/270mhz Pretty much maxed out overclocks.

Cooling in the laptop is with 2 heatpipes (1 CPU and 1 GPU) leading to a single fan.

Tebore said:
One of the earlier Dothans thus not as good as the newer ones but...

600mhz @ 0.700v
1600mhz @ 1.020v

Using RMClock 1.8 and all auto intermediate states.

When gaming I usually max out at 60 degrees. That's with a Radeon 9700 at 445mhz/270mhz Pretty much maxed out overclocks.

Cooling in the laptop is with 2 heatpipes (1 CPU and 1 GPU) leading to a single fan.
ty ill try starting at .85v and see how it goes.
ty!

.7v is looking good but will be tested further. full runs of prime of course.
then ill do 1600mhz and see how low i can go and then ill go in and rip the guts out and as5 it all.
nothing like ripping open a brand new laptop :)

EDIT!!! can someone link me to a guide on how to get to the cpu? notebookforums guide they linked is dead.
ty i dont want broken parts on day 1

ill just keep editing i dont need the post count :)

anyhow 6x 800mhz =.700v lowest it allows me to set it,would go lower tho.
12x 1600mhz = .908v so far doing well with prime.

too bad i can oc this thing.should fly as well as it responds to low voltages.

Last edited:
What Laptop do you have? I might be able to give you a hand since I've worked on a lot of laptops. Well changing, Harddrives, ROMs and "AS5ing" them.

The latest I worked on was a I8600 Dell. I'm gonna assume you have a I9300 dell.

i6000 sorry for not mentioning it.
maxed it out at 38c 100%load prime .908v 12x 1600mhz
im doing stability testing all night tho so ill know more then.

yeh if i can get in and as5 the cpu ill be happier.

You're lucky you have a machine that has a slightly slower GPU which means less strain on the cooling system to cool both. The 9700 gets toasty when it's being worked.

I really wish I had waited and gotten a X700.

I wish AMD would release a Dual Core Mobile solution and an ODM that would team with it a X1600 in a 14inch solution.

Tebore said:
You're lucky you have a machine that has a slightly slower GPU which means less strain on the cooling system to cool both. The 9700 gets toasty when it's being worked.

I really wish I had waited and gotten a X700.

I wish AMD would release a Dual Core Mobile solution and an ODM that would team with it a X1600 in a 14inch solution.
they will have a dual core mobile in 6 months im told.

i just have integrated intel graphics,its all i need but would rather of gad better due to value in resale.
i bought this one 2 months old barley ever used.

im still looking for how to access the cpu.mabey ill ask at notebookforums.com

well i threw balls to the wind and dove in. 1st day i get my i6000 its laying in pieces :)
anyhow removed the foil tim and as5'd it.
also i removed the foam pad off of the gpu,i had to use a pice of sheet copper i keep around to shim it back correctly and as5'd it also.

so far my results are great imo. i cant comment on the video,can you even oc intel graphics?
anyhow 6x 800mhz .7v runs 33c priming
12x 1.6ghz .908 40c priming

it seemed a bit lower before i added as5,mabey ill go back and redo it.

my battery meter was at 3 hours 45 minutes before the undervolting
now says has 5 hours and 36 minutes. almost a 2 hour gain :)

this has the optional larger battery btw.

Sounds like AS5 needs time to settle and you're not getting enough pressure on the CPU and GPU. I believe it uses screws to hold the heatsink on like on the i8600. If that's the case then you might want to use some washers. I used the extra washers from an SLK800.

i dont think there was a way to add any washers or anything that would add much pressure besides swapping for some differant screws.

i went back in and redid it,i couldnt stand the thought of having a left over screw.
i this time i also went with a thinner layer and also put it into the rough sink side and not str8 on the die.

i cant wait to drop in the 400fsb 1.7 and do some ocing now :) this thing is a breeze to work on.
dropped temps to 2-3c 37-38c now

Extra screw? Maybe you should be an engineer and work for Dell. If the laptop worked without the extra screw it probably didn't need it.

I study engineering it's a little joke we have because we usually take stuff apart and look and how to improve it as an exercise.

Tebore said:
Extra screw? Maybe you should be an engineer and work for Dell. If the laptop worked without the extra screw it probably didn't need it.

I study engineering it's a little joke we have because we usually take stuff apart and look and how to improve it as an exercise.
lol,well actually i was almost an engineer in electronics and close to graduation but went brain dead and got married.

eh the screw was just something not so important under the keyboard.
anyhow passed prime all night at the 12x 1.6 .908v setting.

ive never owned a P-M before but this thing could run on solar power if needed lol

Back