• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hit my first big wall...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slychilde

So far, I've been able to troubleshoot the majority of my OC'ing bugs on my own, but this one just baffles me.

My settings before this. Stepping: AFFA. Clock:850@1ghz (100x10). Voltage: 1.80v. Memory timings: 133, cl2, 4-bank interleave, 6-2-2-2 (I *think*) D-Link Ethernet card and everything else is below, I hope.

Then, I upped the voltage to 1.85v, changed the multiplier to 10.5x100. Everything else stayed the same. I get to the win2k splash screen, and every time I get physical dump of memory or something...the screen goes by way too fast for me to read anything. I tried 2 diff HD's. same thing. I think it's winbloze, since I can boot into bios and stuff, but dono what I could change.

One last note, the highest I've got my FSB was 105x8.5, but 9.5x103 worked fine. i.e. mobo no likey the FSB overclocky~

Slychilde said:
So far, I've been able to troubleshoot the majority of my OC'ing bugs on my own, but this one just baffles me.

My settings before this. Stepping: AFFA. Clock:850@1ghz (100x10). Voltage: 1.80v. Memory timings: 133, cl2, 4-bank interleave, 6-2-2-2 (I *think*) D-Link Ethernet card and everything else is below, I hope.

Then, I upped the voltage to 1.85v, changed the multiplier to 10.5x100. Everything else stayed the same. I get to the win2k splash screen, and every time I get physical dump of memory or something...the screen goes by way too fast for me to read anything. I tried 2 diff HD's. same thing. I think it's winbloze, since I can boot into bios and stuff, but dono what I could change.

One last note, the highest I've got my FSB was 105x8.5, but 9.5x103 worked fine. i.e. mobo no likey the FSB overclocky~

The dmi pool dump or whatever it does say ... that is your CPU - maybe stepping is it? I don't think you can clock any higher with THAT chip if you freeze at that point.

Take the conductive paint or whatever you used to close L1s with of and take it back to 1.75 VCore, then clock it up to the original value!!

Take the conductive paint or whatever you used to close L1s with of and take it back to 1.75 VCore, then clock it up to the original value!!

Could you elaborate a little bit more on that? I don't understand what you mean. Sorry :(

It might be your RAM holding you back. I don't know why, it just sounds like it. Try running it a CL3 rather than CL2.

Is your processor locked or unlocked? By that I mean, are all 4 of your L1 bridges closed.

It's unlocked via Pencil Trick. I think it could be my ram, too. Since I don't get really any performance outta setting the ram to cl2 I think I'm gonna set it back to cl3 and try it. I'm just really really freakin scared to try it again with that nasty message.

I think I could get around this via FSB OC'ing from 10x1XX, but my mobo acts anal towards me when I try. So, if any of you guys have any good advice on how to get it to go higher than 103 please share! It only goes up in increments like this 100, 101, 103, 105, 107 etc.

Addition, all my voltages are good. Only one that is lower than the # or whatever is 5v, which is at 4.98. All others are at or above.

if he is running a 10.5x100 I highly doubt its the ram. Close all the L7 to get 1.85v. If you have a kt133 you should still be able to get at least 110. What mobo do you have?

Close all the L7 to get 1.85v. If you have a kt133 you should still be able to get at least 110.

I can set my voltage to 1.85 in bios and it posts. I just get some windows protection error booting into 98 and an even nastier error in win2k. Do I have to do this L7 pencil trick to really make it run at 1.85v or am I ok?

I am running kt133 with 686 northbridge(?) I think. Soyousa.com has all the technical specs of my mobo if you wanna go and take a look.

Ok, I tried lowering my ram timings down to cl3 and got the same error. I am running 102x10 right now just fine, but I wanna hit 1100. I know I have the cooling to do it, just dono if the my rig will let me do it!

Mobo is listed below, bios revision 2AA3. Thinking about flashing to 2AA4 :)

Your problem is not your ram timings. The kt133 will almost never excede like 110-115 mhz for the front side bus. I think you have just reached the max for your chip you should be 1ghz out of an 850 is not bad.

I think you guys are right. 1020 is the highest I can get prolly. Now if I can get sisoft sandra to stop saying it's missing a .dll I'll post some bench's :)

Back