• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix 2x512 ddr400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mantaphor

Crucial/Patriot/OCZ/G.Skill?

Current ram on my main computer is dying :eh?: . I'm experiencing memtest failures every couple of runs, and an unusual amount of HL2 errors. Testing with some old PC2700 shows stability and no errors. It was (and sort of - still is) some off brand ddr400 that ran ddr500 for a good year.

There is no real need for me to upgrade to 2 x 1024; however, it is affordable. I'd like to keep in the range of $150. My 3000+ can run up to 2.8ghz [haven't tried anything higher :shrug: ], so some DDR600+ could be put to good use.

I've narrowed my options down to a few choices:

Each seem to offer something different. The first Crucial Ballistix look awful appealing at only 115$, but I can't find any real testimony to their quality. Any advice or suggestions for optimal price/performance ratio is greatly appreciated. Would like to order within the night or tomorrow, so it can be set-up for CAL-Match on monday :cool: .

Last edited:
alrighty ill do the testimony :D

it gets the job done.

you can run 2-2-2-6 @ 420 @ 2.85v

but i found that

2-2-2-8 @ 400 @ 2.6 - 2.8v [2.8 is default but unecessary]

feels faster? more bandwith im guessing. haven't had time to bench. my motherboard died so i can't do anything to prove anything. sorrry. i have pics of the ballistix and thats it.

it works though. they get the job done.

for me.. they look good. my entire case is al black PCB
black gpus
black mb
black ram
:D its hot

I have them and mine did 420 at 2-2-2-5. I love them and give two thumbs up to the ballistix. At that price, OH YEAH. I've bought two seperate sticks for 80 apiece. Do it, buy these.

Edit: mine hit 250 rock stable @ 2.85vDimm at 2.5-3-2-5 so if that's what you're looking for...

The Ballistix do 1.5-2-2-6 at 200MHZ and 3-3-3-8 at 300MHz with the .16T sticks. If you end up getting some that doesn't have .16T on the sticks then you probably won't get those results.

I have two different ones. One is .16T (retail) and the other is a long shlew of numbers (oem). The .16T does what is mentioned above. There is another source of the same thing confirming this, and he has the pc3200 Ballistix. The oem one can only do 285MHz stable.

Edit: Got the oem one to do 300MHz stable, but can't get them both to run in single channel at 300MHz.

Last edited:
cas1.5 is slower than cas2 except on the two new dfi boards ;)

and yes, definitly go with the ballistix. i just got two sticks straight from crucial yesterday, they easily do 300mhz at 3-3-3, probably around 260-270mhz at 2.5-2-2, just like my other two 512mb pc3200 ballistix i got back in november :santa: (which have shown no signs of failure fwiw, that seems to only effect the 5b D based sticks)

Another weird thing about my 2 x 512mb Ballistix is that I can run them at 2-1-1-4 @ 200MHz perfectly stable on occasion, but only while both sticks are used. It will go to memtest sometimes and sometimes it won't.

I appreciate all of the information. Went ahead and ordered the Crucials - newegg + UPS 3day = ~6days :cry:

Will follow up with results.

(cf)eclipse said:

and yes, definitly go with the ballistix. i just got two sticks straight from crucial yesterday, they easily do 300mhz at 3-3-3, probably around 260-270mhz at 2.5-2-2, just like my other two 512mb pc3200 ballistix i got back in november :santa: (which have shown no signs of failure fwiw, that seems to only effect the 5b D based sticks)
Just to show that CAS 1.5 is a tad faster than CAS 2 even on the older DFI :D.

Here is CAS 1.5-2-2-6. It was 48ns, but saved it as bitmap and ran it a second time.
1.jpg

Here is CAS 2-2-2-6
2-2-2-6.jpg

And here is CAS 2-1-1-4. It really wasn't a factor because I could only get it on 2T. BTW I like the fact how it doesn't even register on CPU-Z.
2-1-1-4.jpg

no idea..

i bought the 1 gig kit 2x512

they seem to be working fine for $116.. 16T kit

Thanks for all of the info avalanche83, we'll see what mine can do once they arrive.

(cf)eclipse said:

those are my sticks! i cant wait for my opteron, then ill really be able to push them :D

Sticks came in today. Satisfied to say the least, and pretty sure I can get alot more out of these.

Some Previews (Done in 20mins, excuse the sizing and lack of effort):

300mhz 1:1 CPU-Z
One.jpg

Latency:
Two.jpg

Read:
Three.jpg

LOAD Temperatures:
Four.jpg

SuperPi1M @ 30~seconds with 3-3-3-8 ddr600.
Also tried 250mhz 1:1 @ 2.5-2-2-5 ... only using 2.8V [standard] for that clock too. Hopefully I will see some tighter timings at 300mhz -- just booted straight at 3-3-3-8 -- and 2-2-2-5 @ 250mhz.

More to come :rolleyes:

Try running through memtest 86+ to see if 2.8v is actually stable. If so you probably do have some more head room, but you may end up needing 3.0v. Increasing the drive strength also helps these IC's.

Run those through 32m Super Pi and post in the DRAM stable database for others to reference.

Back