• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to share files over a lan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally, I just have a central computer as a file server, I have 2 dedicated hard drives for just files, and then a 15 gb OS drive. And I just mapped a network drive to all the computers.

PLOBBY said:
Personally, I just have a central computer as a file server, I have 2 dedicated hard drives for just files, and then a 15 gb OS drive. And I just mapped a network drive to all the computers.

thats the way i roll also. works like a champ!

What exactly are you trying to avoid by not using windows file sharing? If its for security you can beef that up a little. You could also use somthing like bittorrent to get files shared quickly.

probably becuase the college has a hissy fit over it

Consider running a DC++ hub, then everyone who wants in can install DC++ and start sharing - it's a lot easier, cos you only need to give everyone one address (the hub's IP and port) rather than a whole list of share names, or every single person's FTP server.

disclaimer
That said, swapping illegal files is not cool. I hope you're only using this to share things like photos you've taken, and songs you've composed, written and performed yourself.

Back