• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally figure out my PC build, check it out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dawei213

I went from looking at these components (with 1 week of search, browsing and researching)...

CPU: Opteron 146
Mobo: EPoX 9NPA+ Sli
Memory: 1x512 megs G.Skills PC3200
Video: XFX 6800GS 256megs
Case: Antec Sonata II
PSU: SmartPower 2.0 450W (comes with case)
Cooling: Zalman V7700-Cu, couple of Yate Loon's 120mm case fans, Arctic Silver 5
About $ 850

To this (with another 2 weeks of struggling and obsessing)...

CPU: Opteron 146
Mobo: EPoX 9NPA+ Sli
Memory: 2x1 gigs G.Skills PC4000 UCCC
Video: EVGA 7800GT 256-P2-N515-AX
Case: Antec P180
PSU: TruePower 2.0 550W Sli certified
Cooling: Scythe Ninja Cooler, Zalman VF700-CU (VGA), couple of Yate Loon's 120mm case fans, Arctic Silver 5
About: $1130

Now, I can relax, breath, and see what's going on in the world… :D

I like all the choices cept for the SLI mobo...you actualy plan on running SLI?

I think SLI is a waste unless you want to absolute best performance right now. Because by the time you get a second card you'll find it's probably cheaper to get the new latest gen card and sell the old (for more or equal performance). If you still want SLI, then the mobo is fine (just I don't see the sense in getting an SLI mobo if your not gonna run SLI).

Um, is it just me or are you running under 1gb of ram on that mobo?

otherwise its not that bad of a rig - however i do agree with the above posts regarding SLI

ajrettke said:
I think SLI is a waste unless you want to absolute best performance right now. Because by the time you get a second card you'll find it's probably cheaper to get the new latest gen card and sell the old (for more or equal performance). If you still want SLI, then the mobo is fine (just I don't see the sense in getting an SLI mobo if your not gonna run SLI).

Here's my reasoning... I was originally going to get the 6800gs, but for $80 more I can get the 7800GT with about 80%+ better capability (for example. 40 fps on 6800gs to 75 fps on 7800gt). I won't be upgrading in the next 3 months to take advantage of EVGA's Step Up program. I'll probably be adding the card in another year or so. By that time, a new 7800gt or even used 7800gt can be had for much cheaper. It'll be cheaper for me to run SLi than to get a completely new card while selling my old old.

Plus, I don't need the absolute best performance right now. That's why I'm not spending $500 for the card. I figure this technology and speed should be good for the next 2 to 3 years (crossing fingers). For me, it's not that I want to have the fastest, but I not want to fall behind that much.

Thanks for your insight though!

Sleepy_Steve said:
Um, is it just me or are you running under 1gb of ram on that mobo?

otherwise its not that bad of a rig - however i do agree with the above posts regarding SLI

Gotta wake up and read it! j/king :D

Nah, I'm running 2 x 1 gigs of memory, so it's 2 gigs total.

Just be ready to sell off your old cards by about october cause DX10 is going to ruin the market for DX9 cards :(

dawei, I really doubt that your plan will be the best case. The reason is, the 7800GTX 512 performs better than 2 7800GT's in SLI...And remember that card is going to drop in price faster than the 7800GT will. But it's not a sure shot either way, I just error on the side of safety, and knowing that SLI can only cause problems and compatability issues compared to a single card.

twoeyes said:
Just be ready to sell off your old cards by about october cause DX10 is going to ruin the market for DX9 cards :(

*Sigh* ... i know the feeling very well from before...I've played this upgrade games before YEARS ago. Back in the days of the Voodoo cards (and their version of this generation's SLi), when newer specs and cards came out, the prices of hardware was mad expensive. A good system could run well into around the $2500 range and up. Now, it is so much cheaper. (thus, why i'm back into the scene after a 4 year haitus). But it is still changing at an equally fast rate.

ajrettke said:
dawei, I really doubt that your plan will be the best case. The reason is, the 7800GTX 512 performs better than 2 7800GT's in SLI...And remember that card is going to drop in price faster than the 7800GT will. But it's not a sure shot either way, I just error on the side of safety, and knowing that SLI can only cause problems and compatability issues compared to a single card.

You could be right (i wish there is a site which tracks the history of computing prices), but the SLi board only costed me an extra $30. If I need it, I'll be in good shape. if I don't, then I won't use it. Gives me a piece of mind.

Back