• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice with motherboard for opteron 165 gaming system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuzNet

Registered
I would like to put together a new system for gaming and use the the 165 dual core opteron. I currently have an x800 xtpe videocard AGP 8x but can't seem to find a good 939 motherboard with an AGP slot. Would I be better off selling this video card and buying a motherboard with PCI express and a new video card? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

-Andrew

:welcome: to the forums!!!

ASRock has a skt 939 board that supports both PCIe and AGP. Depending on your current budget it wouldn't be a bad idea to sell your AGP card and purchase a PCIe card. Regarding a PCIe mobo to go along with your 165 I would have to recommend a DFI board.

Nexus Realized said:
:welcome: to the forums!!!

ASRock has a skt 939 board that supports both PCIe and AGP. Depending on your current budget it wouldn't be a bad idea to sell your AGP card and purchase a PCIe card. Regarding a PCIe mobo to go along with your 165 I would have to recommend a DFI board.

Thanks for the response, does anyone else have an opinion for my situation?

Well if you want to sell off your current card, you'd want to upgrade to a nice DFI Ultra-D and maybe a 7800GT for $300. I'd say if your planning to game, definitely see if you can sell it off and spend a bit more for the 7800GT.

Another :welcome: I have the same GPU as you and opted for the ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2 board. It is one of the best boards you can get for the money and considering it's 'value' background has some very good features. I plan to keep my AGP card for a while yet but his board allows me to change to the Opteron 165 and when I am ready I can get whatever PCI-Ex card that takes my fancy.

It even has a slot ready for AMD's next AM2 CPU. How good is that? :) Added to the fact it has a SATA2 controller with NCQ (bear in mind at the moment NCQ only seems to improve Maxtor drives) and 2 SATA connectors, plus the standard 2 IDE connectores.

The downside of the board is that it doesn't give a wide range of voltages for CPU and memory but due to its popularity there are bios's that will allow a greater HTT and also a very simple volt mod that can be done with a conductive pen. (I have a DDR booster so the relatively low 2.7 memory voltage is no problem for myself)

Back