• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATTENTION IWILL DH800 OWNERS!!! Check your caps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Attention DH800 owners. Your caps may be leaking. Check the two small 8mm electrolytic 1500uf 6.3v capacitors just to the top/left of the red dimm slot.

BAD DH800 CAPS

Let Iwill fix this:
It is ill advised to attempt the repairs yourself. The successful repair of this issue requires specialized tools, materials, techniques and skills beyond most electronics hobbyists. It is much more difficult than it looks. If I had it to do over again, I'd have just RMAed the board.

If you have bad caps, you'll need to RMA it, have it repaired by a qualified PC repair shop or repair it yourself. If that fluid leaks on the board, it will severely corrode the circuit traces and other components.

Here is a link to http://www.badcaps.net/

Here's my sticky over at 2CPU.com on this subject:
http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=71904

Last edited:
Wow.

Even though I'm not a DH800 owner thanks for the heads up.

out of curiosity - why do many motherboards seem to have this problem? Do the manufacturers really save a lot of money by specifying lower-capacity caps for the job?

Albigger said:
Wow.

Even though I'm not a DH800 owner thanks for the heads up.

out of curiosity - why do many motherboards seem to have this problem? Do the manufacturers really save a lot of money by specifying lower-capacity caps for the job?
Some do but I very much doubt Iwill intentionally sourced cheap caps. Nichicon was supposed to be a good brand but it seems Iwill got burned on this particular model of cap. I've been told by an Iwill rep that they won't be using Nichicon in the future.

I have some Rubycons coming from badcaps.net and I'll repair my board ASAP when they get here.

Hmmm... that one does look kinda funny now that you mention it. That picture isn't my board but someone else's. When I haul mine out to fix it, I'll do a thorough inspection under magnification and report back my findings here.

When Badcaps.net finally sends me those caps I ordered, I'll fix my board better than new. If you read that sticky/thread, there is a debate on the original quality of the dimm power circuit vs just a bad batch of caps. Either way I should be OK once I install the new 10v Rubycon caps to replace the original 6.3v Nichicon caps which are known to be bad.

Update:

Fixing this yourself is very difficult and unless you have some specialized and expensive desoldering tools, you will fail and possibly damage the board beyond repair even by Iwill in the attempt. You most certainly will void any warranty.

Wow. That seems like a b!tch to fix on your own. I did one of my old Abit P3 boards back in the day, but it didn't seem nearly as difficult as your description at 2cpu. Seeing as how you do this stuff almost everyday (ie. you're pretty much an expert), I wouldn't even think of trying this myself. Definitely let Iwill fix it.

Well one month after I replaced the bad caps, I finally took a chance, rolled the dice on my board, hooked it all up and hit the on switch.

None of the magic blue smoke escaped and it all works just as well as it did before.

It's great to hear it humming in the background again. My bedroom is warmer at night too with its 400W of FAH heat output. The wife's been complaining that I need to hook it up so she wouldn't be so cold at night LOL.

Congrats. Yeah, I know all about using duals as spare heaters. My PC-DL priming is the only thing that kept me from frost-bite last winter ;)

I thought the bad caps epidemic was over; guess not. Mid last year I discovered bad caps on 2 of my Soltek boards, very disappointed to say the least. It was a happy ending tho' as pcguy brought them back from near death!

:clap:

Back