• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD upgrade question (is it worth it)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leelegend

i have currently got:

300Gb Seagate SATA 7200/8M

is there any real point in changing this for a new Raptor?

if so, can i just image the whole drive from one to the other, without reinstalling anything and use the seagate as a data drive?

i am running with the spec in my signature, and could really do with the advise

thanks guys

lee

Yes. Depending on how much storage you need, I wouldn't get rid of the 300GB drive, as those are great for storing all your data. You could get a 150 and store everything on it, but a 74 for your O/S and apps is absolutely acceptable.

I noticed a tremendous boost in speed when going to a Raptor. I'm on my sister's rig with a 7200. :bang head no thank you. :)

so it would be worth saving a bit of cash and going for the 74gb instead of the 150gb......would i see the same sort of speed increase?

and do you know if i imaged the drive i would not have to reinstall anything?

lee

You'd actually notice more of a speed increase with the 74. The 150 is [marginally] slower than the 74. I really don't know much about Ghosting or imaging, but I'm pretty uptight with how my system runs and like to reformat when installing any piece of hardware.

Back