• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x 512mb or 2x 1 gb sticks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sesam2k

I recently upgraded to 2 gb ram (4x corsair TwinX pro cl2) memory but to my big surprise the BIOS and CPU-Z only only report that the memory is only running in DDR333 mode. After looking through my mobo-manual it appears that the mobo only can run them in 333 Mhz. Furthermore, when i run memory benchmark in Sisoft Sandra the bandwidth test only give some 3800 score (compared to 5500 with cheap 1 gig KVM ram). the question is if i return the Corsair memorysticks and buy 2x 1gb sticks can i run them in DDR400 mhz mode ? Also, 1gig sticks generally have higher CL value so which memory will be faster / generate higer bandwidth (4x 512 in CL2 or 2x 1024 in CL2.5) ?

Complete specs below
Thanx for quick answer

Yes, bag the 4x512 and go for the 2x1gig. Yes, it will run at DDR400 speeds, and there is plenty of CL2 in 2gig sets these day, so you can have your cake and eat it too. :santa:

yea! got a credit note on $500 for my 4 corsair 512 megs! time to do some shopping for 1 gig sticks :)

Thanx alot for the help

2x1GB Vote here as well. With A64's they are very picky with 4 sticks of ram, takes much more tweaking to get to any O/C decently.

Back