• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm amazed with how much power admins have.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

JUST READ IT, IT'S NOT A RANT. IT'S A FUNNY STORY.

I was playing 1.6 today, and I was pwned. After figuring out the server I played at supported streaming music while in-game, I tried to play some metal. After you enter the command in, it puts a prefix to your nickname that corresponds to the type of music you're playing. So I started entered "/play metal" and it never started. When it didn't play, I asked why, and the admin said he didn't support playing metal. I saw that his name started with "techno", so I was making little jokes about how metal pwns techno, but nothing out of hand and he makes some smart*** comment and says "watch this." So he changes my name to "F***** BY ADMIN", suspends me in the air, and makes my screen spin around real fast and lights me on fire. After about 30 seconds of this he banned me for 1337 minutes. I joined another server, and guess what! I was still spinning around really fast, just not suspended! No matter what server I joined, I was spinning! So I quit my game and started it back up. Oh n03z! I no longer had a config! I looked into my controls, and pretty much everything you can do was not binded to a key. So I got smart....I reset my controls to default, and I was no longer spinning.... I then went into my counterstrike folder and made my config Read Only. 1338 minutes later, I went in there and started messing with the admin again under a different name to see if he did the same thing to me. I saying things like "Please suspend me in the air and spin me admin." And just flooding the screen with PLEASE and other stuff. Well he made a hint like he was going to do it, then was saying things like WTF, why can't I do it. It was hilarious knowing that mr all powerful couldn't do anything except ban me. So he banned me for life. Long story short; IT FEELS GOOD TO PWN COCKY ADMINS! For anyone that doesn't know, the reason he couldn't do anything was because I changed my config to read only, and he no longer could write to it with his admin tools. I also looked deeper into this, and it looks like you can remedie the spinning with typign either +right or -right in the console. I haven't tried one of them, but one makes you start spinning, and one makes you stop if you do it while you're already spinning.

Last edited:
Yeah...now I can't even click on "Find Servers". Looks like he got the last hit...

lol, i do that..or did , quit playing css for a bit. but i know on css theres mani admin , .. simple as "@cexec <name> <command> most the times i just use "say ...something here" but u can bind stuff.. like mouse1 for jumping.. relly funny sometimes. alot of people have scripts to mess with that stuff..all u got to do is del your cfg file.. ithink it auto remakes it.

Heh, well... I certianly will be doing read only with all my config files for now on thats for sure. Its a pain when things dont work but theres just certain people that will do anything to make life misserable.

Nice but horrible story. o_O

I run a CS:S server and I hate admin abuse.I don't let any of my admins use fun player management.Haha the first thing they wanna do is slap themselves around silly in front of everyone :rolleyes:
Now messing with peoples configs is totally unacceptable to me and if I found out? The admin would be gone in a second.

I think this was a failure on valve's part, giving admins the ability to change player configs in the first place. I can't really think of any non-malicious reason they would need the ability to do this.

stratcatprowlin said:
I run a CS:S server and I hate admin abuse.I don't let any of my admins use fun player management.Haha the first thing they wanna do is slap themselves around silly in front of everyone :rolleyes:
Now messing with peoples configs is totally unacceptable to me and if I found out? The admin would be gone in a second.

I have to aggree. if they can alter your config file so easy, the MUST be able to see it....and allllllllllll the other files on your p.c.

This can't be a good thing.

cfg's should always ALWAYS be read only.

STRAT what's the ip for your server? i may pop in, always looking for a well admined fun pub to pwn in.

broken_Naols said:
I have to aggree. if they can alter your config file so easy, the MUST be able to see it....and allllllllllll the other files on your p.c.

This can't be a good thing.

no, they can't see all your files. don't worry. they can only change your cfg. make it read only, and they can't do anything.

this has its benifits as well. up until the latest map release, there was a console command that would give you a (really crappy from what i've heard) wallhack. i would be on servers where half the ppl admitted to using it, and telling everyone else what the command was. on well admined servers, the admin could simply set up a bind to remove everyone wallhack and unbind the key they used to toggle it. :D worked great. but thankfully Valve has fixed that exploit/cheat.

yeah and your not really seeing anything or opening their CFG, they are running a command on your game console, so if that command happens to rebind or unbind all your keys, then its changing your config - there are other ways admins can screw with you better outside your config, by changing settings to do with the graphical part of the game that can just make it all look very odd - leaving you either knowing what to change back or reinstalling (used to admin a dod server where persistant tkers would be punished accordingly :) )

hUMANbEATbOX said:
STRAT what's the ip for your server? i may pop in, always looking for a well admined fun pub to pwn in.

Your always welcome at the padded cell :)

64.34.60.12:27015 THE PADDED CELL-100 TICKRATE-ARE YOU SICK ENOUGH?

stratcatprowlin said:

coolsville, if you see me i'll be playing as toyishONE! or sometimes i play as estelle getty. :sn:

Oh yes. That would be classy. Imagine, three guys hiding behind bushes, and all of a sudden C4 goes off on each of them... ROFL.

Edit: Wrong thread! How did "Funny BF2 Movie" turn into a discussion on Admins being overpowered?

Elif Tymes said:
Oh yes. That would be classy. Imagine, three guys hiding behind bushes, and all of a sudden C4 goes off on each of them... ROFL.

Edit: Wrong thread! How did "Funny BF2 Movie" turn into a discussion on Admins being overpowered?

lol, that reminds me of a Monty Python skit. And yes, you're right, you did post in the wrong thread!

stratcatprowlin said:

I'll be there. thanks and btw my name is athlon 64 lol.

yeah, I remember ****ing an admin off way back in the early days of TFC. Needless to say my .cfg was raped. Fortunately I knew how to fix it in a snap heh.

Back