• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Identifying High density Ram and Low density ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReKLiS

Registered
Im trying to buy some ram off of ebay and i do not know if this ram is High density or Low density. The seller isn't all too sure either. Here is a Photo of the stick of ram he is selling and some Labels and written stuff on the chip set. Copy And Pasted from an email.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lwebay/ebay/memory.jpg

USI for the brand, and 64M8B8-Wb200 on each chip, so I assume that is the model #? If not, there is a large # on the white sticker (which you should be able to see in the picture). This value is U241GOIDUIN6G20

:welcome:
I would guess that those are high density chips, and wouldn't recomend getting them to save headache and troubles if they didn't run in your system.

To go along with the topic, high density (usually generic) ram uses a depth of x4. Doing so makes the ram use all 16 chips to make the 64 bit bus. In the process it makes it cheaper to add size or mb's to the chips at the cost of reliability. Low density (usually name brand) ram uses depth of x8. So it only takes 8 (ex. 32x8, 64x8) chips of 16 to make the 64 bit bus making it very reliable.

Back